Image Map Image Map

Thread: DEC Legacy 2018 - 17/18 November, Windermere

Default DEC Legacy 2018 - 17/18 November, Windermere

Just a quick note to say that DEC Legacy is back again this year on the weekend of 17/18th November 2018.

Please see the website for more details: http://wickensonline.co.uk/declegacy/

With a focus on Digital Equipment Corporation and their legacy of hardware, software and ethos I'm also extending an open invitation to those who are interested in SGI, HP, Sun, IBM and other high end hardware to come along and share their passion with us. Several formal presentations will be mixed with plenty of hands on time with hardware brought by enthusiasts.
    Enthusiasts are encouraged to bring along hardware and software to exhibit. The personal nature of the event brings a unique atmosphere within which friendships are easily forged. For those new to DEC Legacy feel free to browse the image gallery of the previous years event.

Blog Entries

Mark,
    you just made it three times higher to decide what to bring! Can you make room for the IBM PC Server 500 with P390 and a VAX 4000...
    Dave
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Mark,
    you just made it three times higher to decide what to bring! Can you make room for the IBM PC Server 500 with P390 and a VAX 4000...
    Dave
    No problem Dave - actually this was a cut-and-paste from the previous announcements, we have in the past had some nice IBM and Sun hardware on show.

Oh, and it is amateur radio that had somewhat taken over my life for the past 18 months so I've been very out of the vintage computer scene, although I am starting to take an interest again.

Regards, Mark.
    M0NOM

Never been to this though not too far. Is it a show/presentations only or any buying/selling? (When) will a list of exhibits be available?

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    Never been to this though not too far. Is it a show/presentations only or any buying/selling? (When) will a list of exhibits be available?
    It is predominantly a meeting of folk some of whom are able to bring equipment to demonstrate. I don't get involved in buying/selling but I have done both in previous events - sometimes we get folk turn up who are trying to downsize their collection. It is very much down to the individuals on the day.

I'm trying to get the presentations and exhibits list a little more concrete now, expect as a minimum some PDP-8s and -11s as well as plenty of terminals of various vintages and VAX hardware with a large splattering of other kit. If Matt comes as expected then last time he had pretty much every stock DEC terminal every made.

This is what we have for presenters so far (most up to date list is on the website http://wickensonline.co.uk/declegacy/presentations):

Camiel Vanderhoeven, Restoring 1980s and 1990s Supercomputers at Home

Camiel has 14 supercomputers in his barn, and counting. No Crays, unfortunately, but Convex, DEC, Intel, SGI, Sun and Ardent are all represented in the collection with machines that once stood at (or at least near) the pinnacle of what was technically possible. From the first supercomputer with an integrated graphics subsystem (the Ardent Titan), to a huge, power-hungry quad-processor ECL vector machine (the Convex C240), and from an early SMP systems (the Intel iPSC/860) to the first ccNUMA architecture (the Convex Exemplar), this presentation offers a look at the engineering effort that went into designing and building these machines back in the past, as well as into restoring these machines in the present.

Hans Hübner, VAX Lisp

Hans has been a programmer since his high school years and acquired a serious affection to VAX/VMS back in the days of X.25 networks, acoustic couplers and HEPNET. Eventually, he became a professional Lisp developer and took on preserving VAX LISP on VMS as a hobby.

Oscar Vermeulen, PiDP-8/11/10

Oscar, from Obsolescence Guaranteed is bringing his recreation of the PDP-8, PDP-11 and work-in-progress on the PDP-10 and will be talking about the journey he has taken that results in these amazing products.

Jim Austin, The Jim Austin Computer Collection

Jim will be making one of his now legendary remote presentations from his pig sheds. Pig Shed 1 is now finished and will feature this year.

Blog Entries

Happy to chat about "restroring/upgrading" the P390...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Looks like a fun event.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I went last time and had a blast.

I'm note sure what to take but I'm sure I'll have a good time.

Cheers,

Andy.

Ditto,

I attended the last one for the first time myself - and had a real good time. It is amazing how much DEC kit you can squeeze into a (relatively) small community hall... The air conditioning (aka windows and doors) left a bit to be desired - it was somewhat hot by the end of each day - but everyone was really friendly and had something to contribute.

The Windermere area is also very beautiful (not being biassed - but I was born in the area)!

If you are in the UK (and even if you are not) - well worth a visit. I will hope to get there myself this year again. Also not sure what to take...

Mark, is an OMNIBUS PDP-8 coming again? If so, I have a number of OMNIBUS core store memory boards I acquired that I could do with testing. Payment for the tester in pints of beer !

Regards,

Dave