Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toshiba T1200XE - capacitor problem maybe?

After my last post I connected regular 1.5V AAA battery to the battery terminals. One website was selling battery for this machine saying it was 2.4V so I assumed nothing bad could happen when trying lower voltage battery. It seems that the machine was able to store settings with this battery (after replacement it did not complain about cmos battery, only checksum), but what this accomplished was that even if I disconnected the charger and waited a while the CMOS error screen never appeared and the machine just continued to shut down..

It's (probably) interesting that if I turn off the machine in the cmos error screen and power it on it will again display the error screen and stay powered on, it is only after I confirm settings and it should continue when probems appear. I have seen the memory test quickly flashing on screen before the machine has turned off so could it be that onboard memory is bad? When I originally got this machine it did pass all 3MB of RAM (It had 2MB expansion module installed) but when the power supply failed it could have damaged the ram I suppose.

I have reseated the CPU and BIOS chips, I currently have floppy drive disconnected.

Here is a boring video about this situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcavtq0RuVE
    Last edited by fin-william; December 15th, 2018 at 01:47 AM.

Also, if I power on the machine, release the power button and then quickly press it again and hold pressed, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsCxWj2vjc

I have now measured couple ram chips. When charger is connected but the machine powered off, my meter detects pretty close of 5V voltage. When the machine powered on the voltage drops to around 4.3V, based on my googling these chips should work with 4.5V - 5.5V voltage but I guess 5V is the standard.

So maybe the power supply cannot supply enough under load?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fin-william View Post
    I have now measured couple ram chips. When charger is connected but the machine powered off, my meter detects pretty close of 5V voltage. When the machine powered on the voltage drops to around 4.3V, based on my googling these chips should work with 4.5V - 5.5V voltage but I guess 5V is the standard.

So maybe the power supply cannot supply enough under load?
    4.3V does seem abnormally low and it does suggest there is some unresolved issue in the power supply.