Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proper Assembler to use for Source Code

BrianS,
    Yes, I created the Source code by OCR'ing a 67 page PDF Document. Then, I did global search and replace for obvious errors like
    0 for O, and 1 for I, and 0F for F, and on and on. I've got the Source Code for Version 1.0 of the Monitor for the Exidy Sorcerer.
    Plus, I've got the HEX Bytes for the Version 1.1 of their Monitor. My original plan was to get version 1.0 to build and create the
    .PRN file. Then I wanted to compare the HEX bytes from Ver 1.0 to Ver 1.1 and create a new Source Document for Ver 1.1.

But, I've run into this snag of no CP/M Z80 2 Pass Assembler.

I can send you all the documents I have that include .PDF, .ASM, .TIF, and .TXT. I'd just need your email.

Thanks.

Larry

PM sent-

We'll see what Microsoft M80 makes of it. Microsoft M80 is a two-pass assembler, the "U" undefines that I see from the undeclared labels are filled in on pass 2. If it hiccups on some of the syntax, should be fairly easy to correct. As stated, enable the Z80 instruction set with ".Z80" at the top, and it stands a chance.

http://altairclone.com/downloads/man...0Assembler.pdf

I got a lot of use from M80 and F80 in the early 80s. Including interfacing an Ampro Littleboard with a P3 Nav computer.

If you can share the complete source code I can give it a go with EXASM

gertk,
    Sure! PM sent.

Larry

Blog Entries

How did 67 pages become that?

2icebltn,
    Simple. I used PDFTK to extract all the pages from the PDF document

$pdftk MONITOR.PDF burst

Then I tried TextBridge, Tesseract, and finally Irfanview (with OCR Plugin) to OCR each page of the .TIF file that
    convert created. Somewhere I made a text document but I've misplaced it, such that I'm not finding it tonight.
    But, I know I have one for using Irfanview with the OCR Plugin.

Found it! It was in a subdirectory below where I was looking:
    How to convert PDF's so you can OCR with IRFANVIEW's OCR Plugin.

1. Open the PDF and print the pages to a PDF. Example: 96-111.PDF
    2. Burst the PDF pages with pdftk
    $ pdftk 96-111.pdf burst (creates pg_01.pdf, pg_xx.pdf)
    3. Convert the PDF pages to a .tiff file with 300 DPI and -depth 8.
    . $convert -density 300 pg_0001.pdf -depth 8 pg01.tiff
    4. Use IRFANVIEW to Open the File: pg_01.tiff
    5. Zoom Image then, Draw box around the text you want to OCR
    6. Run the OCR Plugin.
    7. Draw another box around the text you want to OCR. (The text will be enlarged)
    8. Save the File as ASCII. (You can't edit it, and then save it.)
    9. Open file with GEDIT and correct as needed. (I use the enlarged text to view as I edit.)

I normally use Textbridge Classic or Tesseract (Linux - Debian) to OCR Documents. But, this was
    extremely poor copy, so I had to use extreme measures.

From there I did global search and replace for all the obvious 1's vs I's, and O's vs 0's, and on and on.
    That gave me the .ASM file........3-4 days later......and still working to get it correct enough to assemble.

Larry
    Last edited by ldkraemer; August 28th, 2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added Irfanview info.

Blog Entries

100ish lines of code isn'-t 67 pages long. That's what made me ask.

Where is this code listing? Can you send it to me? skogkatt *double zero seven* at jeemale dotcalm

2icebitn,
    Yes, really it was 68 pages to OCR in two sections:
    Monitor 1.0 -- pages 1 thru page 62 = 62
    Patched Monitor 1.1 -- pages 5 thru page 10 = 6

Total 68 pages.

Larry
    Last edited by ldkraemer; August 29th, 2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo

The first post contains a code snippet. The full code is over 2000 lines and produces a 44 page .prn file with Macro-80.

Blog Entries

I had been wondering why the provided code was so short ...

I'm going to level with the op. No one but someone who has the computer is likely to undertake the task of troubleshooting. 2000 lines isn't nothing, but it isn't huge. I wish you would have asked me sooner, I would have given my opinion that ocr'ing such a document isn't the best choice. Me personally, I would have typed it in myself, painstakingly, lovingly. Yes you can buzz over a scanned, ocr'd document, but you need so e knowledge to do it. Archive.org has at least one book on z80 assembler. I suggest you read it, or likely one of a dozen others that are out there. Assembler packages also sometimes have good tutorials. This stuff isn't going to happen on it's own. You need to have a reasonable grasp on what an assembler program looks like, and how it should run. You're the man for the job.