Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: How much RAM is sufficient for a 486 PC?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4MB

2 8.00%
  • 8MB

4 16.00%
  • 16MB

10 40.00%
  • 32+MB (depending on the motherboard)

9 36.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: POLL: How much RAM is sufficient for a 486 PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
    I'm surprised so many have fond memories of Windows 95 running well on their 486 with 8MB. Windows 95, NT and OS/2 are some of the only reasons I could think of for more than 8MB being useful on a 486. When Windows 95 came out, that was the first time my 486 felt slow, and made me want to upgrade to 16MB.

8MB is generally plenty for Windows 3.1 stuff, and 486 DOS games almost never needed more than 8MB. For the7 record, most 486 systems that used 30 pin RAM, actually came with eight slots, and typically eight 1meg SIMMs is what people had by the time Windows 95 came around.
    Different expectations back then I think. 16MB was an improvement to be sure, but I didn't feel like I *had* to have more than 8MB, which is what the original post was asking. 8MB is sufficient. Is it ideal? Clearly not, but it is tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, this was for the first release of "Chicago". By the time that 95C rolled out, I suspect that the minimum was clearly specified as 8MB.
    Yes... there was definitely a difference in performance by the time that OEM SR2 came around. As you indicated earlier, the original spec'ed minimum when 95 came out was a minimum of 4MB, which definitely was SLOW. It's easy to forget that this was an era where a lot of motherboards came with USB ports but there was no OS support and very little hardware available for it. We originally referred to it as the "Useless Serial Bus".