Image Map Image Map

Thread: Changing mouse type in GEM ?

Default Changing mouse type in GEM ?

Hello, I have a GEM installation which I have copied to two different kinds of XT, the Olivetti M24 and the ATARI PC 3. For both of them, I have special mice, at the M24 there is the keyboard attached Olivetti mouse, and at the PC-3 there is the special Atari bus mouse (which is basically the same as the ST mouse, but connected to a special socket at PC3 right side). Both of them I got working in Windows 1.0 and 2.0 as I installed that from scratch, and I have mouse drivers for MS-DOS.

But now the question about GEM. That is a special ready installation which I just copied to the machines. I found even a way to change the graphics driver, to swap between CGA and Olivetti 640x400 mode on the one machine,and CGA and EGA on the PC-3. The graphics driver is simply changed by copying the related CGA/OGC/EGA driver on the active driver filename and path, that is just working fine. But that GEM installation expects a serial mouse, which I don't want to attach as I already have the propriarity bus mice at both machines. Is there a way to switch the mouse driver in an existing installation? Which driver files do I need for M24 and PC-3 mice?

Blog Entries

Like you discovered, it relies on finding the correct drivers and copying them over. GEM installations exist on the web, including a set of installation disks you could use against the setup program to install a fresh version that works with each hardware, have you tried that? http://www.seasip.info/Gem/index.html is a great place to start.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The point is, I don't want a fresh installation, as this one is already customized a lot, containing for example (allmost) all knewn GEM applications, switchable between GEM/1, /2 and /3 desktop, boot with our without ACC's (to save memory) and switching the graphics driver. The only point where I am unhappy is that they only work with serial mice, and I have different mice.

If you could point me to the file names which are the mouse drivers, I might find out which ones to use.
    Last edited by 1ST1; August 29th, 2018 at 12:19 PM.

Blog Entries

https://www.seasip.info/Gem/driver.html describes how the mouse information is stored by GEM/3 drivers. Check the video driver like SDPSC9.VGA; it has the special zyxg identifier.

Ah, now I understand. I have to modify the graphics driver file. My settig is to use mouse.com, as there is no choice for Olivetti or Atari mouse.