Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Office XP sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I had problems installing a legit Windows Server 2003 because you cannot authenticate over the internet until you have a bunch of upgrades installed (like the last supported IE and SP2).
    It's even more of a problem now that MS revoked the certificates XP/2003 uses for SSL/TLS, so you can't even connect to the WU servers anymore. There's probably a way to add custom certs, but I haven't figured that out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    It's even more of a problem now that MS revoked the certificates XP/2003 uses for SSL/TLS, so you can't even connect to the WU servers anymore. There's probably a way to add custom certs, but I haven't figured that out.
    You positive about that? I can still access the WU servers and I'm not doing anything fancy like registry editing the system to look like it's a legacy PoS retail version.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ated/certs.png

For XP at least once you deploy Service Pack 3 (It's still downloadable) and IE8 (yes Microsoft did release an XP compatible version at one point) both automatic and manual updates start working properly. I'm not surprised a completely unpatched install doesn't work. That doesn't even work on Windows 7.
    Last edited by NeXT; September 6th, 2018 at 07:52 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

I believe the "unofficial service pack 4" for XP includes IE8. Add the POSReady registry hack and you get updates through the middle of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Have you tried LibreOffice? It may fit your needs.
    I abandoned Microsoft Office for OpenOffice and then, LibreOffice a long time ago. I didn't like that new fangled ribbon, and preferred a Wordprocessor that worked the way I preferred. I've never regretted it.
    -----[ Al ]-----

3 - TRS-80 Model I, TRS-80 Model 4D, LNW-80 Model I, Coco, 3 - Coco 2, Coco 3, 2 - Tano Dragon 64, C64, C64c, C128, 2 - Atari 800XL,
    Atari 520-ST, Atari Mega-2 ST, Amiga 1000, TS-1000, TS-2068, ZX-Spectrum, IBM 5150, 2 - Apple ][gs, Laser 128, and a butt load of Macs and Intel PCs.