Image Map Image Map

Thread: Sun Openboot keyboard layout change

Default Sun Openboot keyboard layout change

I have got Sun Blade 100 server with German keyboard.
    When I turned it on, keyboard layout in OpenBoot is also German. It's not comfortable for me, and I would like to switch it to English also in OpenBoot (I haven't looked to the system, I'll do it later)

I googled a little bit and tried eeprom set keyboard-layout US-English, but it doesn't work.

Or, does keyboard inform Sun Openboot what layout it has, and for English layout I need English keyboard?

It doesn't matter what letters/symbols are drawn on keys, I type blindly using English/US layout.

try this:

eeprom keyboard-layout=US-English

reboot system

let me know if that works

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    try this:

eeprom keyboard-layout=US-English

reboot system

let me know if that works
    Hello,

Sorry for so long silence - that server was needed NVRAM to be resurrected. I did this and now can do tests with it.

Unfortunately, it didn't work - there's no 'keyboard-layout' option.
    And, if I connect another (Windows English) keyboard, the layout is English.

I also connected that German keyboard to Sun Ray (it's booted from another Solaris server) and the layout was German in login screen. When I logged in to the system, it's set to English (I have configured English and Russian there in Solaris GUI)

I don't have Sun USB English keyboard to test, but Sun hardware seems to know layout from a keyboard itself (if it's Sun one, at least).

Some keyboards (at least Type 5c I'm sure) have DIP switches to set the language they report, you might want to check that.