Image Map Image Map

Thread: Alternate keyboard for IBM 3278 terminal?

Default Alternate keyboard for IBM 3278 terminal?

Has anyone ever tried building a converter/adapter to allow a 122-key model M keyboard to be attached to a keyboardless IBM 3278 terminal?

I can't find the specifications (electrical/timing/protocol) for a 3278 keyboard anywhere, so I don't know if this is even practical.

It might be easier just to bite the bullet and fork out over $1000 for a real 3278 keyboard and hope that it is functional when it arrives. Just thought I'd check, though.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MossyRock; September 2nd, 2018 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MossyRock View Post
    I can't find the specifications (electrical/timing/protocol) for a 3278 keyboard anywhere, so I don't know if this is even practical.
    A friend has a keyboard that he is going to let me borrow to reverse engineer the protocol.

This is one of those things that needs doing, along with doing the same for the Displaywriter kb.

Al,

This guy knows the 3278 keyboard protocol since he has built a 3278 to PS/2 keyboard converter. The details of the 3278 keyboard protocol are buried in his C code (which is freely available via links on his page), which I'm studying but it is daunting to say the least.

http://www.ibmsystem3.nl/IBM3278/

I sent an email to the email address on the page asking if he has the actual specifications.
    Last edited by MossyRock; September 4th, 2018 at 08:46 PM.