Image Map Image Map

Thread: Reliable Video Connection to TV

Question Reliable Video Connection to TV

So, I've heard about a new cable for the C64 that has HDMI in it. I have also heard that it is outrageously priced. So, I need to know how to connect a Commodore reliability to a TV or monitor. I have one of those craptastic "tv-computer" boxes, and it has those old pitchfork connectors that absolutely don't exist on a TV anymore. I don't have a S-Video cable, although it seems that it might be the most viable option. I've also seen the coax RCA cable thing, that is also a possibility. I just need to know which is the most reliable.
    For the ones who have no fun

Blog Entries

The most reliable is to use an appropriate Commodore monitor with the proper three-RCA cable.

Everything else works. The only trouble I have ever run into is the lousy tuners in modern TV's. They don't like to connect to devices that rely on the wiggle-room old TV's give you.

Fork terminals can be connected to a balun, and then to coax. This all used to be simple when Radio Shack was around. I don't know where you buy these things now other than everyone's go-to, Amazon.

8-bit classics has the video cable available with either the 4-pin S-video cable*, or Lumi+Chroma RCA with audio (either "stereo" or mono)

* Optional 300Ohm resistor can be added as well for modern LCD displays

I have two of them just in case the cable I made wasn't working very well, and I made my own AV cable for the C64, which does work without issues (several attempts later).
    Last edited by retro-pc_user; September 3rd, 2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Removed the links