Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 486 can't detect hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    He said it was verified in another machine I believe.
    If you mean this:
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanikal View Post
    What I have tried so far:

tried different ide/floppy controllers (verified ok on another computer)
    ... that refers to the controllers, not the drive.

So, we're still left with a specific drive in unknown condition. And those drives do flake out with age.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    If you mean this:
    ... that refers to the controllers, not the drive.

So, we're still left with a specific drive in unknown condition. And those drives do flake out with age.
    Nope, I meant this

tried different hard drives (verified ok on another computer)

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Nope, I meant this
    Originally Posted by mekanikal
    tried different hard drives (verified ok on another computer)

But that still leaves the drive in question unverified.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

I think you are in to something. I guessed some sort of conflict but could it be that the 16-bit part of the isa-bus is faulty. I could try with an awe64 isa sound card. If that works then the 16-bit part should be ok since the awe64 is 16-bit?

Thanks for all replies. I have tested many different drives and even CF-adapters. Three ide/floppy-controllers with two different brands. All jumpers should be in correct positions (i have tested different positions but I have the manuals with explanations to all jumper settings. All the drives and all the controllers are verified ok on my pentium 100-machine. In fact I have just set up a working dos/win98-computer with some of these parts.

I guess some sort of conflict or maybe the 16-bit part of the isa bus is faulty. I will try with an old awe64 card to verify this. The computer is totally stripped. It is just the motherboard, cpu, graphics card (VL-bus) and a keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    He never said whether the drive works elsewhere. Maybe it's just DEAD!
    Or too big to be supported by the mainboard bios...?

I guess some sort of conflict or maybe the 16-bit part of the isa bus is faulty. I will try with an old awe64 card to verify this. The computer is totally stripped. It is just the motherboard, cpu, graphics card (VL-bus) and a keyboard.
    As long as your VGA card is working, I don't think so.