Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SFD-1001 not working

Unless you did so already, check the capacitors on the motor controller board. They will almost certainly have leaked and will eventually affect the drive speed.

Here's Bo's blog on fixing the issue: http://coffeemud.net:8080/ctcug/inde...01_disk_drives

Rob

Blog Entries

I very gently moved the heads back and up and down on their track just to see what the travel was like. I'm not sure if the rails need a bit more lube as they feel kinda stiff. However after doing that, with a couple of attempts, I was able to get the drive to actually load my diary program successfully. Was also able to modify it (it was set up to use both drives on the 8050) and save. However I still cannot do a header. And the drive has problems reading the data file disk. It will do a directory ok somewhat inconsistently, but reading the actual records from the SEQ files is proving a challenge.

Really wish my 8050 hadn't bit it.. but I was never able to get past that '5 blink' error.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Okay hopefully I did this right.. I did PRINT DS$ U12 (my drive is configured to that address)

On power up, status is: 0

After a DIRECTORY:

27,read error,39,00,0 0
    Yes, as daver2 says just print the disk status variable (ds$).

It is not read from the drive so no unit number needed. It is a system variable that reports the status of the last disk operation.

Blog Entries

I think it's gradually starting to work better.

I have a new problem - I tried opening a year file in the diary, and for some reason the program glitched and went to add a new record rather than read. I broke out of it.. but now there's a * beside the year when I do DIRECTORY... ie. "1992" *SEQ -- does that mean it's been locked somehow? Hoping I didn't overwrite it. THe program will not let me read it now.

Blog Entries

Okay so they're called splat files. I couldn't figure out how to fix it but I did figure a way around it.. I made the machine copy it (to a different named file). Now the copied file opens and I can read the entries. Man, I wish I'd used this thing more consistently back in the day. It's so weird reading what I was doing and thinking in 1992. I don't remember any of it! It's like reading something someone else wrote!

Anyway, the SFD-1001 seems to be working consistently now. It fails to read directory, etc on the first read of any disk, but then reads it the second time. I *think* that's how it used to work with single sided disks. I think it always failed and then on the second try it switches to single side mode.

If I could figure out the right command to copy these to another disk for backup purposes, I'd like to do that. These disks are 30 years old and probably will die in the not too distant future.

Anyway, the SFD-1001 seems to be working consistently now. It fails to read directory, etc on the first read of any disk, but then reads it the second time. I *think* that's how it used to work with single sided disks. I think it always failed and then on the second try it switches to single side mode.

If I could figure out the right command to copy these to another disk for backup purposes, I'd like to do that. These disks are 30 years old and probably will die in the not too distant future.
    Glad "exercising" the drive has made it read again.

You just jogged my memory - the 1001 is a single drive version of the 8250. During my research into using OS/9 on the SuperPet and the differences between the 8050 and 8250 (incl how they handle REL files), I recall you will always get a error message when trying to read an 8050 formatted floppy on the 8250 for the first time (it will be an error 66 Illegal track or sector message). The error occurs due different BAM contents but is only reported once. All further disk access will operate normally. You can use the copy command to copy files across to a 8250/1001 formatted disk but don't use backup.

With regards to the Header command failing, from what I know, the 1001 is a dual head floppy so you have to have Double Sided floppy disks (DS), DD or Quad Density - HD usually don't work. (I have one drive (D1) that will format HD floppies but the other (D0) doesn't - one my 8050). This is a know compatibility issue). What type of floppy are you using ?

The 8250 accesses 'rel' files differently to 8050 - this I thought was the only difference when accessing files.

Additional info I guess can be found on Zimmers.Net

ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/manual...N_8250003).pdf

Th error codes from your 8050 point to Zero Page - 6530 6502 UK3 UH3. Am guessing you found that also.
    Last edited by AndyG; September 4th, 2018 at 02:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Glad "exercising" the drive has made it read again.

You just jogged my memory - the 1001 is a single drive version of the 8250. During my research into using OS/9 on the SuperPet and the differences between the 8050 and 8250 (incl how they handle REL files), I recall you will always get a error message when trying to read an 8050 formatted floppy on the 8250 for the first time (it will be an error 66 Illegal track or sector message). The error occurs due different BAM contents but is only reported once. All further disk access will operate normally. You can use the copy command to copy files across to a 8250/1001 formatted disk but don't use backup.

With regards to the Header command failing, from what I know, the 1001 is a dual head floppy so you have to have Double Sided floppy disks (DS), DD or Quad Density - HD usually don't work. (I have one drive (D1) that will format HD floppies but the other (D0) doesn't - one my 8050). This is a know compatibility issue). What type of floppy are you using ?

The 8250 accesses 'rel' files differently to 8050 - this I thought was the only difference when accessing files.

Additional info I guess can be found on Zimmers.Net

ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/manual...N_8250003).pdf

Th error codes from your 8050 point to Zero Page - 6530 6502 UK3 UH3. Am guessing you found that also.
    Definitely using DS DD disks.. 'new' ones that work in other machines. But yeah, it won't HEADER them at all for some reason. I assume I'm doing the command right: HEADER"test",D0 on U12

Blog Entries

I'd do it the old fashioned way, just because I never seem to get some of those DOS 4 commands right.

oP1,12,15,"n0:test,xy":clO1

Definitely using DS DD disks.. 'new' ones that work in other machines. But yeah, it won't HEADER them at all for some reason. I assume I'm doing the command right: HEADER"test",D0 on U12
    Actually try... you need to provide an ID also, which in this example is 02

header “test”,d0,i02 onu12
    Last edited by AndyG; September 4th, 2018 at 11:18 PM.