Image Map Image Map

Thread: connecting 2 ATX p/s's to get 24vdc

Default connecting 2 ATX p/s's to get 24vdc

Apparently it can be done, was just wondering if anyone has tried it. Numerous discussions if you google. I need to test, or even operate a scanner, Xerox documate 3220, needs 1 amp. I had a beautiful brand new 24vdc switcher that seems to have disappeared.

Blog Entries

For testing, a couple of 12V SLAs (the cheap kind for emergency lighting) work better, in my opinion. That, or 4 lantern batteries.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't recommend it--grounding issues. 24VDC supplies should be easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it--grounding issues. 24VDC supplies should be easy to find.
    That's exactly what was addressed in the discussions I looked at. Onenguy says 1 p/s board has to be removed from the case and situated on nylon standoffs. I have to look at the details again, but if that's the case wouldn't it just be easier to pull the ground plug from one a/c cord?

I don't think I have 4 workiny lantern batteries unfortunately. I'll have to check again. And as to why I don't just buy something, I wouldmor will rather, as soon as I verify the unit works. Shmott no?

Blog Entries

This is where language gets us (and why the word "grounding" should be totally eliminated from the NEC). To resolve that, you'd have to isolate the cases *and* cut the ground pin, and now you've elevated a "ground" which is just a bad idea in general, but more importantly, you're doing two things which those power supplies really weren't designed to do.

Either way, like Chuck said, 24V supplies are plentiful, and should be easier to find than 12V supplies.

Do you have two cars? Or one car and a jump-starter? (Don't use a jump-starter or charger that plugs into AC.) Or a jump-starter and a lawn tractor? 16 D-cells?

Blog Entries

If you're interested, I have a 24V switcher that I'm not using. Very high quality with isolated ground.

There are also lots of power boost modules out there; e.g.:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Power...wAAOSwq1tbaVlt