Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8050 flash code reliability

Blog Entries

And there we have it.. it loads up my diary program and reads the SEQ files no problem at all!

20180904_202718.jpg

I also managed to do a header on a new disk (same one the SFD-1001 wouldn't format) and it worked no problem! So crazy that the drives are still going after being out that long!

Thumbs up

Glad you got it up and running

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    So crazy that the drives are still going after being out that long!
    I'm glad that you repaired it, it's another one that works again
    My 3040 was powered off for nearly 30 years, it took quite some work to remove all the dust and clean the mechanics. I rewired the power transformer for 240V instead of 220V since in the meantime the line voltage here was raised to nominal 230V and those linear power supplies really make too much heat already (I did the same on the few 1541s I have). The electronic boards were still working fine anyway. So it doesn't surprise me that most of the other disk drives of that era can be fixed.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    And there we have it.. it loads up my diary program and reads the SEQ files no problem at all!
    Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    I'm glad that you repaired it, it's another one that works again
    My 3040 was powered off for nearly 30 years, it took quite some work to remove all the dust and clean the mechanics. I rewired the power transformer for 240V instead of 220V since in the meantime the line voltage here was raised to nominal 230V and those linear power supplies really make too much heat already (I did the same on the few 1541s I have). The electronic boards were still working fine anyway. So it doesn't surprise me that most of the other disk drives of that era can be fixed.

Frank
    Yes, my 8050 developed a very high pitched noise when reading the floppy disks. I think it’s related to the stepper motor and the drive circuit ... maybe (the drives had been suitably lubricated). Haven’t had the time to diagnose properly and wonder if anyone has any ideas (both drives give out the high pitched whine after a while when being accessed for data. It’s not the drive motor for spinning the disk nor its associated components. I think it’s to do with the head stepper motors) ?

I also had a beaten up 8250 .. which also had Micropolis drives. I swapped the ROMS and 6530 over to the 8050 digital board to upgrade it to DOS 2.7, and changed out the drives in the 8050 for the ones in the 8250 (with analogue board). As the digital board is configured as an 8050 these floppy drives, the floppies are only accessed as single sided disks and it seems to work perfectly. As I am playing around with Super OS/9 I need to keep to this format rather than it being a true 8250 (as the REL files are handled differently) .. Just thought I would share that bit of info.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyG; September 5th, 2018 at 12:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm hoping this will serve me well when I pick up a 4040 one of these days. We had one in our school computer lab, along with 20 Commodore 64s that were chained to it via an IEEE-488 cable. Every C64 had a C64 Link II cart that that cable plugged into. We were forever having trouble loading software with it, and it was very noisy, not like this 8050 I have which is almost silent. Although I wonder now if the problems were actually the bumped up BASIC in the cart and not the drive. I have one of those carts around here somewhere. Should really plug it in and see if it still works.