Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung and the dreaded Capxon cap's

Blog Entries

That is a function of thinner is sexier with electronics, no room to make a decent easy to work on layout of components.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Its almost as if they designed it so it would fail and you would just go out and buy a new one...

On a similar note, I bought a korean 2k 30" lcd display almost 6 years ago now. Power supply was burnt out in 6 months. I replace it with an external, actively cooled one from Meanwell. Haven't had a single issue in since. I've noticed, just adding a fan to these LCD monitors, puts a zero on the end of the life cycle of these parts. I ran a 120mm fan (@5v) on my main tv. cut it into the case to blow across the boards, up then out of the unit. The tv is just a cheap Sanyo and has been PERFECT running since 2007 when I got it. Still use it daily in the bedroom even though I got a nice 4k last black friday. I won't be modding that one until the 1 year warranty is up.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

We have a bunch of old 720P LCD TVs here that run every day (2 Vizio and one Sony) and never had issues with over heating or blowing supplies. These TVs are not 1" thick like the new ones are and are free standing not wall mounted.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luckybob
    I replace it with an external, actively cooled one from Meanwell.
    I used to look askance at the "cable wart" external PSU monitors, but I've since changed my tune. I notice that the failure rate for those displays seems to be much lower than the ones with integrated PSUs.

That is exactly what it was too. 24V @ 7A on the brick (if memory serves) and I bought one rated 24v@10A. taped it to the back of the monitor. The small 40mm fan is barely audible, you only notice it if you are listening for it.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Time to call it a day on this monitor, I re-capped the inverter as all the caps were on the floor spec wise, I'm getting good output voltages from the PS board 3.3v 5v 13v and on the main board (AD Board) Except i'm getting an intermittent start signal from the main board, If i unplug the vga cable the start signal is there and stays until i plug the vga cable back in, No start signal and the inverter IC is dead, I've googled and googled and it's aparently a common problem on some Samsung monitors, My 172v is one of them, The big chip on the main board goes faulty which one of it's functions is control of the start signal, I'll probably keep hold of it for spares, LCD's can be picked up cheaply or free these days so not worth carrying on.