Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can an upgraded pre-built machine game?

Default Can an upgraded pre-built machine game?

A little over a month ago, I bought a used Dell XPS 8700 from a guy, only $375 Canadian, and it was a big upgrade over my mid 2011 mac mini I had previously.

Specs:

3.2ghz 64bit quad core i5-4460
    16GB DDR3 ram
    1tb hard drive
    gtx 745
    460w dell PSU

before I did any upgrades GTA V did run smooth but on quite low settings.

my first upgrade was a 600w bronze evga power supply, and just a few days ago I got a GTX1060.

Playing GTA V it now automatically sets itself to pretty high and good looking settings, and it barely drops below 60fps according to steams fps counter, and when it does, it is still 57fps or higher.

3 days ago, I bought Fallout 4, it automatically set itself to "ultra" and it looks amazing. 95% of the time, even during combat it remains at 60fps, sometimes it goes up to 63fps, and very rarely it drops between 55 and 59fps. It only dropped to 42fps once right after getting out of a loading screen.

So to answer the question, can it game? I'd say yes it can game. It does indeed seem to be able to hold it's own.

I am looking at getting a 2tb hard drive, and later on an i7-4770 as high of a clock speed as I can find at a reasonable price.

I'm glad that the GTX1060 greatly improved performance, after I spent what came to be $485 Canadian once taxes were counted.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Of course an OEM machine can game, the question is though, how much money are you willing to spend to get it to that level?

The PSU and GPU are the two items which almost always are skimped on. I've repaired several "Cyber Power" "Gaming" PCs which were shipped with IED PSUs which had exploded and luckily didn't take the machine with them, new quality PSUs set them back up to $60. Dell PSUs are on the same level as IED PSUs. Can't tell you how many hundreds of these I've had to replace or repair depending on if they were proprietary units or not.

On the GPU side, they're often shipped with crap with emphasis put more on storage capacity and RAM. You can spend a couple hundred on a decent video card for one of these machines.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Of course an OEM machine can game, the question is though, how much money are you willing to spend to get it to that level?

The PSU and GPU are the two items which almost always are skimped on.
    Having replaced the PSU and the GPU, I spent $535 on upgrades for it already, and $670 counting the 3TB hard drive I just ordered for it last night.

The only upgrade left is an i7-4790k 4ghz, but that's a few months down the road because I will be putting money aside for it, instead of immediately causing my wallet any major pain, because as we can see from the GTA V and Fallout 4 performance, it is not an upgrade that needs to happen immediately.

I cannot afford to pay $1k plus at once, so the idea was to buy a decent machine as a base, and then upgrade from there, it seems to be going pretty well.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :