Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark-8 on Ebay

I already worked on a real Mark 8 before, I'd get this one running! I'd be careful to keep the replacement parts whenever possible to the same period. I have plenty of parts to replace whatever is bad, including power supply, caps, etc.
    Bill
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Blog Entries

Someone should really start a Mark 8 registry. I'd really like to know how many still exist out there.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Someone should really start a Mark 8 registry. I'd really like to know how many still exist out there.
    Just curious... When do you still call a machine a Mark 8? This machine for instance?

Over time the makers kicked out the annoying LED and switch panel and made their own octal keyboard.
    They put a LOT of RAM into the machine, and kept everything documented as well...
    Put in a tape interface and a boot rom and TV typewriter(?) card... I really like how they did it and I would not change
    a thing to it. But is it still a Mark 8? I really like their enthusiasm to make it a good looking and serviceable machine.

But also that Ebay machine, it doesn't look like the one which Titus build in his nice cabinet.
    So I guess people like the pioneering which is visible?

Regards, Roland
    WTB: Dec TU56 / Case for Altair 8800

Blog Entries

That Mark-8 you posted above is interesting.. I wonder if those mods are based on the digital group's Packet #1.

I figure a Mark-8 is still a Mark-8 if it's modified. If it's still using the original design PCBs, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    That Mark-8 you posted above is interesting.. I wonder if those mods are based on the digital group's Packet #1.
    I figure a Mark-8 is still a Mark-8 if it's modified. If it's still using the original design PCBs, anyway.
    Well Mr Berkhoudt told me that they used information from the Digital Group.
    I don't know it exactly, but I could figure it out I guess... I love those old
    LED and switch computers, but I really like how they did it with that display.
    Mark 8 display.jpg
    Last edited by Roland Huisman; October 6th, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
    WTB: Dec TU56 / Case for Altair 8800