Image Map Image Map

Thread: Searching for WordVision, one of the early word processors for MS-DOS

1. Default Searching for WordVision, one of the early word processors for MS-DOS

Searching on the usual places turned out nothing. Actually, I found very little in general about it, aside from a brief demo in an old Computer Chronicles episoded about WPs, and some ads or small blurbs on scan of old magazines.
    Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Blog Entries

If you find it, please post here where. It seems like a fascinating product of its time: Ahead of the curve with very forward-looking features like undo and configurable menus, but of-its-time with very confusing concepts (erasing a file is called "clubbing" it, your data/file is called a "Scroll", etc.).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

WordVision was derived from Comp-U-Writer which can be found on the Compucolor org website. Won't be MS-DOS compatible but might give you a feel for how it worked.

Jim Edlin sold WordVision from his home after Bruce & James's deal with Simon & Schuster broke down. Six thousand copies out of an initial print run of 18,000 were returned by S&S. He may be a good choice to contact.

4. Default

Yep, I thought the same and emailed him early this day!
    Will give a look at Comp-U-Writer, thanks.

Will keep you guys posted.

Blog Entries

If Jim still has any, I'd be willing to compensate him for a few copies and his time for mailing them, so please pass that along if you're successful in contacting him.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quite true that Comp-U-Writer for the Compucolor 2 was the ancestor of Wordvision (both were coded by Thomas Crispin). And it would definitely give you the general flavor that carried forward to Wordvision. But about 2 years of work went into advancing Wordvision beyond its Comp-U-Writer origins.

Jim does indeed have some and would be happy to provide you with one. I'd love to have back a digital image that runs on an emulator. Please contact me directly.

Bit late to the show, but this might be interesting to someone
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title1
    Word Vision Writing Tool (Thomas A Crispin and Jim Edlin) Spiral-bound softcover
    Spiral-bound. Case Very Good. Eight disc set. Quality guaranteed! In original artwork/packaging unless otherwise noted.

Blog Entries

FYI, I've been in contact with Jim Edlin and have a sealed copy of WordVision that I'll be using to archive materials. Images suitable for use with an emulator will be made public, thanks to Jim's permission. I'll post again when that's done.
    Offering a bounty for:

I wouldn't buy anything from abebooks. I ordered a 68000 book, it never arrived, and abebooks never replied to any or my numerous emails. Thieves.