Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Searching for WordVision, one of the early word processors for MS-DOS

Blog Entries

Thanks to the generosity of Jim Edlin, WordVision has been archived and made available via The Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/WordVision

The program can be run via either disk image (a working copy image was made), or by extracting the captured files to a subdirectory and running from there as any normal DOS program. Full documentation and scans are also available at the same location.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

2. Default

Thanks to both Jim and Trixter very much! The Internet really can be such a magical place/thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Thanks to the generosity of Jim Edlin, WordVision has been archived and made available via The Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/WordVision

The program can be run via either disk image (a working copy image was made), or by extracting the captured files to a subdirectory and running from there as any normal DOS program. Full documentation and scans are also available at the same location.
    Great news! I was about to remark I have an old copy I bought long ago, but I don't know if I still had the original disks. God only knows what happened to the manual.

What I really liked about it back then was that it was only $49!!! It wasn't WYSIWYG, but the color coding on screen was easy to follow, and the storage system (which allowed descriptive document names) was usable. It worked quite well on my Compaq Portable I had back then. I used it regularly to write for several Miami English classes.

I had a copy of WordStar back then, but WordVision was so much easier to use.

Blog Entries

Anyone can upload to archive.org? I've been going through my stuff, have some items that are fairly rare and/or interesting.

It's always nice to see computer history properly recovered and preserved. Thanks Trixter, and Jim Edlin!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    Anyone can upload to archive.org? I've been going through my stuff, have some items that are fairly rare and/or interesting.
    Yup. Their principle software curator has lovingly referred to it verbally as "a dump" on several occasions, so feel free to dump anything you have there.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Does anyone know of somewhere where I can buy a copy? I've been quite interested in word processors for a while now, and I am hoping to make a youtube series about early word processors. WordVision has been illusive! And it looks like a surprisingly well thought out package for the time.