Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why do most web browsers ask to be your default browser?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Hardly...

How is an ad/recommendation antitrust?
    Might be in Europe whose current anti-trust bureaucracy tends to look unfavorably on even mild speed bumps on competitors. It is however annoying especially to anyone that bought Win10. MS is getting very pushy trying to get very modest amounts of extra revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Might be in Europe whose current anti-trust bureaucracy tends to look unfavorably on even mild speed bumps on competitors.
    Anything... might be as you so vaguely put it.

Do you have any EU legal expertise or ar you just.....
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Hardly...

How is an ad/recommendation antitrust?
    It's a step taken to directly inhibit (however minorly) the use of competing products.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    It's a step taken to directly inhibit (however minorly) the use of competing products.
    Ya', like Coke Calling Pepsi inferior.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Blog Entries

More like Coke saying that Pepsi is killing you faster than Coke. How would that fare?

Antitrust isn't what I'd call it, but if I were to judge, I'd say it's not kosher. However, I'm no judge.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Antitrust isn't what I'd call it, but if I were to judge, I'd say it's not kosher. However, I'm no judge.
    Neither are pork or shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    More like Coke saying that Pepsi is killing you faster than Coke. How would that fare?

It's reminiscent of the AARD code which gave DR-DOS users a bogus "non-fatal exception error" when attempting to install the beta version of Windows 3.1. As the senior VP of Microsoft wrote in an internal memo at the time, "What the [user] is supposed to do is feel uncomfortable, and when he has bugs, suspect that the problem is DR-DOS and then go out to buy MS-DOS."

These new messages in Windows 10 stating that Chrome is less secure and draining your laptop's battery faster than Edge are likewise intended to make the user feel uncomfortable about using Chrome. Microsoft got sued about their anti-competitive practices against DR-DOS and settled out of court. I doubt Google will sue Microsoft about this because despite their efforts, Chrome is still by far the most popular web browser and people will continue to install and use it despite the warnings. And even Firefox is still much more popular than Edge. But if the tables ever turn and Edge becomes the favored web browser, this might be grounds for legal action.

Blog Entries

Neither are pork or shrimp.
    Nor camels, hares, conies, eagles, ospreys, and a plethora of others; but not locusts, bald locusts, beetles, or grasshoppers, which are.

More like Coke popping up a message on vending machines telling you not to buy Pepsi products that you have to manually dismiss before you're allowed to buy Pepsi products.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup