Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SATA HD to IDE adapter?

Blog Entries

Another data point--I've got three of the SunPlus chip adapters and tried them out in various configurations today with a Kingston 120GB SATA SSD.

DOS runs fine, and XP and Linux get into the "file copying" part of the installation, then both crash. The board appears to be selected and stay that way and time out. My guess is that big multi-sector transfers are getting botched.

I've ordered yet anohter couple of adapters with a yet different chip. I'll post the results as soon as I get the boards.

are they the ones in those plastic cases? if so, that is the kind I had that never worked right.

Random thought: Maybe the bridge chip is overheating? Maybe the SSD is so fast the chip starts to overheat because they were designed for slow devices? Like I said, random thought.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

Tried it with a 250GB rotating rust drive too. Same thing. The Kingston is a known quantity to me--it works just fine with a conventional SATA hookup.

Blog Entries

Follow-Up:

Just got in the third type of adapter--one marked RXD-629A7-7. Tried it with the Kingston SSD and installed XP, Win98SE and Xubuntu with no problems.

The odd thing is that this device appears to go all the way back to 2010. The others are newer.

At any rate, I've got my solution.

If people are interested in 44-pin IDE -> mSATA.....

I tried a cheap $10 adaptor from eBay on a PowerBook G3. It detected and reported the drive correctly; but it was useless and would result in random system lockups all the time. I did kind of get a OSX installed once; but it was so unstable it was beyond a joke.

On some recommendations I tried a Lindy branded adaptor (with the same mSATA drive). It was a lot more expensive @ ~$30USD however I can't rate it highly enough. It's rock solid and I can't fault it.

Link to Lindy site - or search for one on eBay

Lindy also make a 40-pin to SATA which is cheaper. Based on my experience with the above adaptor I will definitely try one if the need arises.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Gosh, its almost as if cheap Chinese shit is cheap shit.

Blog Entries

The problem is that it seems that all this sh*t is made in China, no matter whose brand is on it.

Well, if you pay them enough they will make you products of the highest quality. Then copy your design and sell it for 1/10 the price on alibaba.

Blog Entries

QC is where they get cheap so even if the design is decent you will still end up with bad parts.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The problem is that it seems that all this sh*t is made in China, no matter whose brand is on it.
    Exactly - the Lindy one is still a made in china 'somewhat no name' board. It's just different in that it actually works.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!