Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Microsoft. Why?

This is why I use libreoffice
    For the ones who have no fun

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post

Remember how you used to be able to click change after an account was set up and tweak server settings, authentication, SSL, etc? Nope. Gone. Now you get this dumba-- dialog box that doesn't let you do any of those things. What you see is all you can do now. The only way to change server settings, SSL, etc is to delete the account and start over again.

Click "Next" (bottom right), then let it try and do an auto discover of the settings and test it. Once done, click next again, then at the bottom of the third screen there is a check box for "Change Account Settings" check it and click next again, and you should be looking at the standard Account setting page where you can set all the SSL and authentication things as well as specify the server addresses etc.

Another way to do it would be to create a user based GPO and push that out to the client. https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/policies.htm

As for your initially not being able to skip that setup, I am nearly certain you can, though I do not have an Office 2016 installer in front of me right now, and I have NEVER been asked to configure Outlook as part of the Office install, that only happens after the install and you launch Outlook for the first time.

I think, before you complain about "Microsoft bridge tolls" maybe you should just check to see if the process has changed and that you are complaining about the right thing. You start off going on about Office, but you actually mean Outlook, and you go on about things not being there, that are, it's just a little bit different to get to them.

I am not a lover of MS for the most part, but I do think we should try and keep our complaints to legit things, rather than things that are mostly our issues with learning the interfaces.

EDIT: I just pulled out a Windows Box and did a complete Office 2016 install on it, and simply cannot replicate the initial thing you complain about. I was only prompted to setup Outlook's mail settings *after* office was installed and I ran Outlook for the first time, and even then I was able to skip that wizard and setup the account manually (though I did have to let it fail before I could click through and get to the settings page).

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Actually, I just checked this in Word 2016 and ALT-FA still works like it always has, so not sure if I understood this part right.
    This is correct; the fact that most of the accelerators still work as normal is about the only saving grace in modern versions of Office. Though it does still require you to select from a pile of suggested destinations instead of just popping up a dialog box right off the bat.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    This is correct; the fact that most of the accelerators still work as normal is about the only saving grace in modern versions of Office. Though it does still require you to select from a pile of suggested destinations instead of just popping up a dialog box right off the bat.
    That's what I'm referring to. I miss being able to have that dialog box right away. I hate having to do two or three extra clicks to get that done.

And I still haven't found a way to change server settings in this new, evil version of Outlook 2016.