Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOL-20 & S-100 questions

Running from the drive’s 12v supply should be fine for the regulator and for circuit operation.

Mike

Thanks.

I found two Panasonic direct drive drives, the NOS one is a JU-475-5 AKJ which I think is a 1.2 MB 96 tpi type and the other is a used & dusty (will need cleaning) is a JU-455-7AAB type which I think is a 320kB type, I guess that one would be suited, but as yet I cannot find the data for its jumper settings. I will clean it up in the meantime. I may be better off getting the Teac 55BV types suggested.

I've had a lot of Teac drives in the shop with very few problems, but the Panasonics will probably be fine.

Just a thought, what ever happened to the idea of a jig to make hard sector disks out of soft sector to maintain compatibility with the original setup as it was back in 76/77 instead of trying to find a drive that could be compatible with soft sector disks running a hard sector emulator?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
    Just a thought, what ever happened to the idea of a jig to make hard sector disks out of soft sector to maintain compatibility with the original setup as it was back in 76/77 instead of trying to find a drive that could be compatible with soft sector disks running a hard sector emulator?
    It's a pain in the butt, and you almost always end up with a dimple in the disk where the punch goes through, which rubs the jacket as it spins. Mike's solution is better I think. The vast majority of newer drives are compatible, I've even used the VSG with my old belt-driven Tandon TM-100s, it's just a less-recommended setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
    That is an interesting idea, how many extra holes would be needed ? I'm pretty sure I could punch the disc material well with a clean flat edge (as I can admit I've used old 5.25" disks to make thin washers for various engineering applications) but what I think the hard part would be, would be spacing the holes accurately around the circumference of a circle and having them exactly the same size as the existing hole. It would really require a jig with the punch fitted and a precise rotation system. if they were not right, wouldn't that produce a timing-phase error ?

But now, an idea; most plastics companies cut plastic effortlessly laser and CAD. In that case, the alignment and potential hole edge problem would be solved together. If anybody had an old hard sector disk, if it could be posted to me, I could take it to my local plastics/laser company and investigate doing it this way.

I have a drawing someplace, for my punch, showing the diameter of the position of the holes. They are .100 inch diameter.
    It is also hard to make sure the disk are correct. If it doesn't have a donut in the center, it is a 1.2M disk and can't be used.
    If it does have a donut, it is likely a 360K disk but not always. It may still be a 1.2K and will cause errors.
    I still use my punch. If it causes problems with burrs, I smooth them down with the back of my finger nail. It is not
    an issue.
    Dwight

Years back companies made kits that enabled you to put your own reinforcing rings on disks that didn't come with them right out of the box. IIRC, mine was purchased from Inmac but there were others.

As a result I wouldn't assume anything just because a disk had a reinforcing ring.
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center