Image Map Image Map

Thread: PCJR DOS4.01 move to DOS 5.0

Default PCJR DOS4.01 move to DOS 5.0

Ok I am so rusty, need the experts to weigh in..
    System: PCJR A: 5.25" floppy B: 3.5" (720k) C: harddrive Seagate 640KMEM

Boot disk DOS 4.01 ( Drive C

I have a fresh copy of IBMDOS5.0 on 3.5" disk

How the heck do you get the system files from the 3.5" to a fresh formatted 5.25"
    when the system is booted with DOS4.01
    using the SYS command, of couse, give WRONG VERSION error.

and keep in mind DOS5 has to be patched for,the PCJR.

I have done diskcopy and transfered the new DOS5.0 files from orig. 3.5" to fresh 3.5" disk
    also made 3.5" my A: drive then booted to C: DOS4.0
    copied 'PATCHA.BAT' to A: disk and ran the patch and it seemed ok.

Then tried to boot A: drive, 3.5", starts to load and the locks up, all ya get is keyboard beeps.
    Have to power down and restart...

after about 6 hrs, figured I would throw this to the experts...

chuck

I use an emulator to manage images. Then I use a networked 486 open-frame PC on my desk with a variety of real floppy drives to image new disks with things like image disk or rawrite.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Ok After HOURs, finally got DOS 5 patched and running on a 3.5" drive as A: drive.
    Had to manually walk thru debug and patch the boot disk.
    Tried using PATCHA.BAT that is basically the same, but did not seem to work...

the only issue I have found so far is that the DEVICE= items are giving issues,
    ie. ANSI.SYS locks up the system when used in config file...

also the =DRIVER.sys has similiar issues.....

wow thought Dos 5 for,the PCJR wouldmbe a step up. but does not seem to be so far...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckphd53 View Post
    Ok After HOURs, finally got DOS 5 patched and running on a 3.5" drive as A: drive.
    Had to manually walk thru debug and patch the boot disk.
    Tried using PATCHA.BAT that is basically the same, but did not seem to work...

the only issue I have found so far is that the DEVICE= items are giving issues,
    ie. ANSI.SYS locks up the system when used in config file...

also the =DRIVER.sys has similiar issues.....

wow thought Dos 5 for,the PCJR wouldmbe a step up. but does not seem to be so far...
    I use DOS 5 on my PCjr, so it should work. I don't remember if mine is MSDOS or PCDOS, but I don't think that should matter.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.