Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigboard II

Falter,

Note that what you have referenced on ebay is a 26 way IDC to 25 way D adaptor. 25 pins of the IDC connector will be wired to the 25 ways of the D connector. One pin will, therefore, be missing. Pin 26 of the IDC (J3 and J4 of the BB2) doesn't appear to be used - so you should be fine.

Note that just because it has a 25 way D connector on the end - this will definitely *** NOT *** correspond to the standard pinout for an RS232 connector (just in case you thought that).

My suggestion would be to use your multimeter (set to continuity) to test sand draw out which pin of the 26-way IDC header is connected to which pin of the 25 way D connector. You can then use the pinouts from the documentation of the BB2 to identify which pin is which - and how they are wired up to the 25 way D connector.

You can then make up a short matching 25-way D adapter cable to match whatever you plan to connect it to.

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Falter,

Note that what you have referenced on ebay is a 26 way IDC to 25 way D adaptor. 25 pins of the IDC connector will be wired to the 25 ways of the D connector. One pin will, therefore, be missing. Pin 26 of the IDC (J3 and J4 of the BB2) doesn't appear to be used - so you should be fine.

Note that just because it has a 25 way D connector on the end - this will definitely *** NOT *** correspond to the standard pinout for an RS232 connector (just in case you thought that).

My suggestion would be to use your multimeter (set to continuity) to test sand draw out which pin of the 26-way IDC header is connected to which pin of the 25 way D connector. You can then use the pinouts from the documentation of the BB2 to identify which pin is which - and how they are wired up to the 25 way D connector.

You can then make up a short matching 25-way D adapter cable to match whatever you plan to connect it to.

Dave
    Thanks Dave. I figured as much. I assumed 'parallel' meant different pinout.

There must have been a standard 25 pin serial header, in the style of what I posted previously, made back in the day for these?

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Yeah I've got all the pinouts right.. the monitor definitely reacts. But the sync is way off. Even with nothing on the screen I can tell the sync is not good.

I'm scrambling around looking for a DB25 header I could connect to the serial. The manual says the machine will hunt around and try to figure out what the console is and will do serial if connected. Just don't seem to have any of the headers.
    Here is the 4051/52/54 RS232 25-pin connector pinout:

Tek 4050 Option 1 Comm RS232 pinout

Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; September 15th, 2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: deleted thumbnail - unreadable

The cable you identified is/was designed for an IBM PC parallel (Centronics) port.

I don't think there was a specific cable. I think what you will find that was used was a 2*13 way header with 'pins' inserted for the relevant wires and hand-soldered to the correct pins on the 25-way D to make up a serial cable. It would have been a bespoke 'thing' at the time I suspect.

Dave

Do not worry. Look here at page 47, the idc connectors are wired in a way to can adjust the db25 pin canon as DTE or DCE mode.
    https://archive.org/details/bitsaver...usonbi_3048140
    Enrico

Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    Only 90$ wow cool!
    this is my old page.
    Use google translation from italian to english.
    I begun to scan microcornucopia from my paper copies may years ago.
    I have a lot of info let me to know exaclty what do you need to can help ypu.

Enrico - Pisa - ITALY
    All of MicroCornucopia is available on the Internet Archives.

https://archive.org/details/micro-cornucopia-magazine

Great info on big boards.

Thanks, i know i begun to scan few my issues make them available to other that they completed with their issues.
    I have all of them in digital way, but the interesting issues on Ferguson Boards are just from 1 to 20.

Enrico