Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Network help please

I have a bit of bias here, but yes, Google Sheets is the way to do it.

Basically you can host documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and arbitrary files on a Google account and access them through Google Drive. If the file type is Google Document, Google Sheets, or the presentation file type you can edit the file online. You can also share the file with others, give them the ability to view, comment, or edit, and you can have have multiple editors working in the file at the same time. All of this is available on desktops, tablets and phones.

Here is an example: When the kids went to college I wanted them to keep track of expenses that I needed to reimburse them for. So we have a Google Sheet that is shared between us; they make a row for each expense that they want reimbursed. When I'm ready to do paperwork I open up the sheet, see what they've added, make some notes or comments, and then reimburse them. Nice and easy.

Oh, and see you at VCF PNW 2019! I lived in Minnesota (Rochester) for 21 years. You'll find our constant rain at that time of the year refreshing compared to the ice and accumulated snow.

Mike

Thanks Guys, yes Good Docs has crossed my mind. Only reason I haven't done it was because I don't like having another company (per say) in charge of my files. Plus I'm fairly efficient on Excel and not so on google spreadsheets. Just the subtle differences. Maybe I'll get it a whirl and see how everything converts.

Mike, would you recommend anything else to see/visit while we stay in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    Thanks Guys, yes Good Docs has crossed my mind. Only reason I haven't done it was because I don't like having another company (per say) in charge of my files. Plus I'm fairly efficient on Excel and not so on google spreadsheets. Just the subtle differences. Maybe I'll get it a whirl and see how everything converts.

Mike, would you recommend anything else to see/visit while we stay in Seattle?
    Cloud services are always a potential risk. I wouldn't worry about privacy but I do worry about getting locked out of my data unexpectedly. Never put something in the cloud that you can't live without unless you are paying real money for the service and can point at a contract. (And even then, have a backup plan.)

As for Seattle ... this is what I put together for visitors last year: https://goo.gl/3emMWH (Seattle for Visitors, VCF PNW)

That link is also available from the VCF Pacific Northwest home page at http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintag...fic-northwest/

Mike

I agree about cloud storage. Even our Mycloud, although we've only got media and some pictures on it that ar backed up to DVD's if the NAS goes down.

Great list of sight seeing places. Thanks! I'll forward it on to my wife, she loves trip planning.