Image Map Image Map

Thread: hello from belgium (Toshiba T4500C )

Default hello from belgium (Toshiba T4500C )

Hi all!

I'm from Belgium. I'm not really a collector (yet) of vintage computers. I do have some old Windows XP machines that were considered dead for years. I don't know why but i kept them around and recently i revived them with the oven trick and the heat gun trick. The reason i got inspired to try to revive them is because i found this old Toshiba T4500C on the attic of the house i bought. It must have been there for over 15 years.

The first couple of times i tried to boot, it immediately died on me, so i was thinking of gutting it and throwing a Raspberry Pi in it. But after a couple of more tries it started booting into post. Then suddenly i saw the windows 95 loading screen. It's a bit slow even though its got an 16mb ram expansion card, probably because of the mcafee anti virus and ms office. It's rocking a 80486SX-20 at 20MHz with 4MB of RAM and a WDC90C11 GPU. The hard disk is 200mb large. The screen is a 8,4inch TFT LCD 640 by 480 pixels with 512 colors.

It's in overall good condition, missing some trim pieces here and there. There is a quickport to attach a ballpoint, but i'm unable to find a toshiba one. They are pretty expansive to. But no problem i can navigate around in windows without a mouse. Back in the days my parents hid the mouse thinking i was unable to use the computer. I have a PS/2 mouse laying around new in box but it would be fun having the trackball.

So i managed to get hold of some floppy disks and a USB floppy drive and i'm thinking of giving it a fresh installation of windows 95 or DOS. I would like to keep it for playing some retro games. I don't have any experience with 95 or DOS but i think i will get the hang of it pretty fast. It needs a new battery (obviously) and the charger is kind of broken. I grew up with windows 98 and tinkered around with computers since i was young.

I'm thinking of opening a thread here and hope you guys can help me get started! I'm a bit confused where to start, cause it's an i486 but with windows 95, which is off topic. Here are some photos of my "barnfind"

IMG_20180906_202825.jpgIMG_20180906_201450.jpgIMG_20180906_202303.jpgIMG_20180906_201734.jpgIMG_20180906_201303.jpg

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums. A 486 running Windows 95 is not off-topic for this board, but it is off-topic for the Introductions forum. Hopefully an admin can move this to the "Later PCs" sub-forum which has plenty of people who can help.

As for reloading it, I'd suggest sticking with DOS first and getting the hang of that before attempting a Windows 95 load. Before you start the Windows 95 load, you'll need to figure out what drivers it might need for the display to get the full use of the system.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Welcome to the forums. A 486 running Windows 95 is not off-topic for this board, but it is off-topic for the Introductions forum. Hopefully an admin can move this to the "Later PCs" sub-forum which has plenty of people who can help.
    I only opened this thread to introduce myself. i will open a thread in later pc's regarding reloading/fixing the laptop