Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Heard of Universal Neverlock?

Default Ever Heard of Universal Neverlock?

Has anyone ever hear of, or tried, a software product called Universal Neverlock by Copyware Inc.? I just found it while trying to do a search so I could unprotect my copy of Thunderstrike (so I don't have to insert the original disk). Neverlock now seems to be abandonware but also seems to be too good to be true that it actually works.

Thanks...Joe

There's lots of tools like that, crock2 and rawcopy come to mind. They all do roughly the same job and usually with the same level of success. It'll either work or it won't.

I collect up lots of that kind of material, so let me know if you get your thunderstrike issue resolved.

Sure, I've had Universal Neverlock for almost 25 years. It's from Feb., 1994. It works on hundreds of games.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

You can always search for your game on the web, and download whatever you find, and use the unprotected executable with the rest of the files on your disk. You own the original and can prove it, so you're not breaking any laws to download and run an unprotected copy (even DMCA, which had a clause added to it in the late 2000s to cover "reverse-engineering for the purposes of format-shifting software to current mediums and hardware" (paraphrasing)).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I did find a crack for ThunderStrike which is pretty simple to apply (just change three bytes), but I can't find the string of bytes I need to change, so I can't apply it. It's possible the 3 byte string is not in the current code segment and the crack doesn't give any other info.

I know of at least one location where I can download a version of TS and see if the EXE file has been patched but I have a lot of old DOS games, many of which have not even been opened. Of the games which have been opened, a number of them have some sort of protect scheme. If the Universal Neverlock software actually does what is advertised, that would negate me having to search for fixes on every game.

Thanks...Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    If the Universal Neverlock software actually does what is advertised, that would negate me having to search for fixes on every game.
    You mean you've had it this long and haven't used it yet?

It doesn't get any better with age like wine does.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    If the Universal Neverlock software actually does what is advertised, that would negate me having to search for fixes on every game.
    Despite the name, it is not "Universal". It is a patch library for about... (checking my copy of '96...) about 300 games in the "modern" collection and about 250 in the "classic" collection. So not everything, given that there were over 4000 commercial games produced for DOS (not all of them requiring protection, but still). And that 4000 number might be nowhere near complete, as the cataloging will continue for the forseeable future.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Despite the name, it is not "Universal". It is a patch library for about... (checking my copy of '96...) about 300 games in the "modern" collection and about 250 in the "classic" collection. So not everything, given that there were over 4000 commercial games produced for DOS (not all of them requiring protection, but still).
    And of those ~ 4000 games 80% weren't even worth playing let alone buying or looking for a way to circumvent copy protection!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You mean you've had it this long and haven't used it yet?

It doesn't get any better with age like wine does.
    No, I just found it the other day while searching for the crack of Thunderstrike. I also saw a list of the games it will supposedly "fix" and I have many of them, so even though it won't do every game, it will do a lot.

Well, I gave Neverlock a try on my copy of Thunderstrike and it could not locate the bytes which need to be changed. So I guess I am back to trying to crack the game myself. As I said, I did find one crack online but it asks me to locate the byte string E8 92 72 but that string can't be found...at least in the code segment I am searching.

Being able to read PC assembler should not be a huge issue for me as I programmed in IBM mainframe assembler. Writing PC assembler from scratch would be a larger learning curve. What I am going to need to do is read up on debuggers so I can find one which will let me step through the program until the "INSERT KEY DISK" appears and then patch out the check.

Any advice on which debugger to use (I'll be doing this on a DOS machine) will be appreciated.

Just as an aside, I would like to find a book (or books) which can walk me through the steps the processor takes as the PC is first powered on and then as DOS gets loaded and takes over.

Thanks...Joe