Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever Heard of Universal Neverlock?

What version of Neverlock do you have?

Does it list Thunderstrike in its 'can do' list?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What version of Neverlock do you have?

Does it list Thunderstrike in its 'can do' list?
    Neverlock 96 and the documentation states it is the last version which will be made. I just downloaded it from two different sites earlier this week... a file compare shows both downloads are identical. Thunder Strike (two words) is listed as one of the games in the "classic" section.

When executed, Neverlock states it cannot find the byte string it needs (but does search the correct EXE file). It suggests, when this happens, the version of the game may be later than their "fix". Kinda odd since my game is dated 1990.

Joe

Mine is from Feb., 1994 if you want to give it a try.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

So your next step will be downloading the cracked Thunderstrike game executable itself, right? (Which, as previously described, is legal for anyone who can prove they own the original)

(BTW, it's a great game; I also own the original. It was programmed very well; it's very fast on a 286 even with VGA.)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

It's possible that nevlock is having difficulty finding the bytes to change if the .exe file has any form of runtime compression on it (pklite, diet, etc). There are tools that can identify and strip runtime compression out. It's often easy to tell by simply dragging the .exe file into a hex editor and looking at the first few bytes- you might see a text message signature there. You'll need a hex editor anyway if you're going to attempt your own patching.

I learned x86 assembly language by cracking DOS games, so I am very much in favor of you following your hopes and dreams by trying to crack this nut. It's a way better reward system for learning a new skill than writing a bunch of hello world variants.

That said, trixter is 100% correct. There's absolutely no need for you to do that work- it's been done and there are versions of that game (and all the other ones you have in your collection) available out there, cracked and ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    So your next step will be downloading the cracked Thunderstrike game executable itself, right? (Which, as previously described, is legal for anyone who can prove they own the original)

(BTW, it's a great game; I also own the original. It was programmed very well; it's very fast on a 286 even with VGA.)
    I tried the version downloaded from myabandonedware.com but it did not run cleanly. I see the EXE file from that site is larger than the one on my install disk...117k vs. 93k.

Besides the key disk issue, the one issue I have with the program is how it incorrectly detects a double click of one of the joystick buttons and goes into turbo mode when you are not expecting it. Maybe it works better on a 286 as I normally run it on either a 486 or Pentium.

Joe

Blog Entries

That's a speed issue, not related to the crack. Slow your system down, or run it on a slower system.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    That's a speed issue, not related to the crack. Slow your system down, or run it on a slower system.
    Yes, I know. This happens with the original uncracked version. Could also be an issue with the button on the joystick where it occasionally sends a double signal. The slowest machine I have is a 386/33 but it is currently in the bullpen.

I think there is another problem as well which causes me to have to stop and reload the game multiple times...it could be the sound doesn't start all the time but I can't remember.

Joe