Image Map Image Map

Thread: Unknown POST code on Zenith Data Systems ZDS-620NL

Default Unknown POST code on Zenith Data Systems ZDS-620NL

Hello everyone,

I got this computer last week from a local second-hand store.

The first time it was powered, I could get to BIOS configuration, where it suddenly stopped while changing BIOS date and time. Long power button press did not turn off the computer, so I desperately pulled off the cable.

Since that moment, each time the computer starts, a burst of 3 short beeps plays (which seems to be a POST error code), but screen remains black.

So I decided to open it, and found out there was no HDD. Could it be possible to insert an IDE to SD adaptor here?

The CMOS battery connector looked corroded and disconnected it. That made no difference to boot behaviour, though.

Since computer hanged while configuring the BIOS, I suspect from a CPU and/or RAM failure. However, I do not have any experience disassembling such ancient hardware, and have found no information regarding this computer whatsoever.

Has anyone worked with this computer in the past? Is there any information I can look up on the Internet?

Thank you very much,
    Xavi

Welcome to these forums.

The manual of a different Zenith laptop manual, the SupersPort, indicates that for that laptop, 3 beeps can also indicate a low battery.
    It could be the same for your model of Zenith laptop.

Thanks for the reply.

The computer can be turned on both with or without battery. Surprisingly, battery can be charged to its full level and hold charge for some time (e.g.: more than 30 minutes), which is very uncommon for such old machines. In any case though, the computer won't boot up no matter the battery level, or absence thereof.

In fact, the first (and only) time I booted the computer successfully, battery was removed.