Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Apple I up for auction

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Things that would give me pause are security - I wouldn't want to keep close to $1M in my house, let alone on my wall begging for thievery. So it'd be in a bank vault and by definition that means I'd almost never see it. So it does kind of defeat the purpose a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I would like to have an Apple I to use. But I too have no desire to own something that valuable. Frankly I'd much rather have a KIM-1 than an Apple I. When those were affordable, I passed them up with the stupid assumption that they'd always be affordable. The sad reality is that I just don't have the time to do anything with one anyway.
    Yeah, definitely good points about the security aspect. These really should just be sold to museums at this point.

Hard to decide which things we pass up will raise in value and which will drop. For instance, C64's and Apple II's and such have gone up in value lately, but I kinda feel like they'll drop again one day when more of us pass away and the kids start to inherit them and start offloading them. I guess it's a matter of rarity. The things i kinda wish I had procured when they were super cheap were the Terminals.. I really would like to do a few raspberry pi 'retro' projects with those, but now that all the keyboard enthusiasts have bought those up and practically destroyed them, those are way overpriced now.
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Things that would give me pause are security - I wouldn't want to keep close to $1M in my house, let alone on my wall begging for thievery. So it'd be in a bank vault and by definition that means I'd almost never see it. So it does kind of defeat the purpose a bit
    Ever hear of avarice? Like Stradivarius violins, much of the stuff is kept speculatively and not for genuine interest. Owners of valuable racehorses that dislike horses, or purchasers of Monet canvases who think that a velvet picture of Elvis is great art.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Ever hear of avarice? Like Stradivarius violins, much of the stuff is kept speculatively and not for genuine interest. Owners of valuable racehorses that dislike horses, or purchasers of Monet canvases who think that a velvet picture of Elvis is great art.
    I disagree, most Stradivarius violins are played and not kept in a locked closet. Yes many of the surviving ones are owned by very rich people who loan them out to a virtuoso, but typically ownership is not for investment but to make sure that the instrument is kept for history and played by a master in each generation and not simply passed directly down to someone who may not deserve it.

I can't talk about what motivates owners of a racehorse.

I purchased my Apple-1 for various reasons. I like the connection to the past, the beauty of it and to be honest it's fun to bring it to computer and technology shows to turn it on and let people play. Yes I let people on my original Apple-1, there are some videos out there of me at VCF East letting people use it.

Now I also own a few replicas. Why? #1, so I can tinker, I have a highly modified one that is for playing. #2, sometimes it's not practical to lug around a real apple-1 (i.e. MakerFaire NYC in two weeks with 100k of my closest friends is a good example of why not to do it, I have a replica in a briefcase just for such occasions). You may have guessed, I do not keep my original Apple-1 at home. I did for a while, but my wife was nervous since I have kids and accidents can happen. This was obviously after an accident did happen, luckily on something much less expensive and a lot more common.

Cheers,
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I would like to have an Apple I to use. But I too have no desire to own something that valuable. Frankly I'd much rather have a KIM-1 than an Apple I. When those were affordable, I passed them up with the stupid assumption that they'd always be affordable. The sad reality is that I just don't have the time to do anything with one anyway.
    Two years ago, a KIM-1 popped up on craigslist. The guy that was selling it said it was part of the california museum of science and industry at one point. Anyway, I jumped on buying, but happened to be deep in the desert at that moment. I begged the seller to hold it for me at over his asking price but he ended up selling it within hours for $200 bucks. I still kick myself for it.

The silver lining at that moment though, was I was at the taping for "The Grand Tour" and got to briefly meet the 3 hosts!