Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: SFD-1001 not formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman View Post
    On that note, is it possible to make it a single sided drive? Is there a DOS command or jumper I can set?
    Well you should surely disconnect the top head, since it might be trashing unintentionally the top side of the disk if a driver failed (I'd say it's likely). If you have formatted media that haven't never been in this drive, you could disconnect the green wire from the top head and try reading sectors on the top side, to confirm it's ok.
    As for permanently tell the 1001 to only use SS format, I don't know, we need an expert
    Frank

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    Well you should surely disconnect the top head, since it might be trashing unintentionally the top side of the disk if a driver failed (I'd say it's likely). If you have formatted media that haven't never been in this drive, you could disconnect the green wire from the top head and try reading sectors on the top side, to confirm it's ok.
    As for permanently tell the 1001 to only use SS format, I don't know, we need an expert
    Frank
    What does it mean when you say "driver failed"?

The easiest way to do this is to use BASIC to make it think it's drive 0 of an 8050, which is single sided. I can't find it at the moment however...ug. maybe someone has this BASIC program and can post it for you
    b
    Last edited by billdeg; Today at 07:21 AM.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

What does it mean when you say "driver failed"?
    electronic driver, that bit of electronics that drives the erase coil in the top side head.

5. Default

Someone gave me this command for switching to single sided U0>M0 but I believe it is a PET command. I tried OPEN15,8,15,"U0>M0" in C64 BASIC but it doesn't do anything. Is there another way perhaps?

...after further investigation that does appear to be the command. It is the same one for 1571 drives but it doesn't seem to help me at all. I still get a READ ERROR at TRACK 78 when formatting. ....
    Last edited by Digitalman; Today at 10:35 AM.

... I tried OPEN15,8, I still get a READ ERROR at TRACK 78 when formatting. ....
    Track 78 ??

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Track 78 ??
    Yes...the start of the top side.