Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: SFD-1001 not formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman View Post
    I assume I would do that by swapping the pins around on the connector?

I noticed in the schematics there is an S1 and S4 jumper that is associated with single side or double. If they are open they are single. But I'd have to cut the trace on the board to open it. Thoughts?
    I would NEVER swap the heads in this situation. The erase coil with too low resistance could easily damage permanently the driver which is mostly in the U11B hybrid and you'll have a dead drive as a result.
    I don't know how the firmware reacts to those S1 and S4 cut, I've never seen a 1001 in real life. I'd try cutting them and disconnecting the green wire going to the top head. If it starts working as a single side drive, you have something still useful.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    . I'd try cutting them and disconnecting the green wire going to the top head. If it starts working as a single side drive, you have something still useful.

Frank
    Well now here is something! I cut S1 and removed the green wire from the bad head and it starts formatting. Seems to go through the entire disk but when it goes to write the directory it' starts to flash and then after a few seconds gives me the following error.
    20 READ ERROR 38 0 0

Nevermind, I have to cut S4 as well. Successful format 2052 BLOCKS FREE!

Running a few more tests but looks like I'm running in single side mode.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman View Post
    Nevermind, I have to cut S4 as well. Successful format 2052 BLOCKS FREE!

Running a few more tests but looks like I'm running in single side mode.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this!
    I'm glad it worked! If there's a command or something to change this drive back and forth between single side and double side mode, I would try to read double side disks too. Without that green wire, it can still read double side disks, just not write on the top side.
    On the newer disks like 1571, it's all software selectable, no need for jumpers.
    Maybe someone with a 1001 can shine some light on this.

Frank

5. Default

Never assume anything with me! My electronics skills are beginner at best, now I know. I'll report back when I've had a chance to do this.

Thanks!!