Image Map Image Map

Thread: XT and Parport ZIP Drive

Default XT and Parport ZIP Drive

Hello, IOMega's ZIP drive driver for MS-DOS usually only works with 80286 or better. And you need MS-DOS version above 3.x to support partitions bigger than 32 MB.

The alternative would be to use palmzip driver ( http://leute.server.de/peichl/palmzip.htm ). Palmzip also can divide ZIP 100 medias to three partitions of 32 MB, where only the 1st is usually accessible to another PC (but there is a trick to do on the newer PC using aspippmx.sys...). But for what reason ever palmzip does not work on my Olivetti M24. I also tryed it with an ATARI PC 3 without success. The author of palmzip driver thinks it could be the firmware version of my ZIP 100 drive (so it seems to be one of the 'newer drives) which is not compatible with palmzip.

So I found another tipp, which is quite usefull. IOMega's original drivers would work with an XT if one replaces the 8088 or 8086 with a NEC V20 / V30. I trieed that as I have a V30 and so plugged it into my M24 (which is running on MS-DOS 5.0) and I now had success with IOMega's guest.exe, the ZIP drive is assigned as drive D: and I can access it. Another good thing is, palmzip only supports ZIP 100 drive, IOMega's driver also support ZIP 250 drive, and maybe even JAZ drive, which is 1-2 GB.

Anyhow, I would like to use aspippm1.sys or aspippm2.sys instead of guest.exe, if possible. I tryed, without success. But I tryed only with ZIP dive on LPT2:, that is ISA card with EPP support. M24's LPT1 is not bidirectional, so it is slower. How to tell aspippm1.sys / aspippm2.sys to use LPT2?

Here is what I tryed on my M24 with V30 CPU:

DEVICE = ASPIPPM1.SYS 049 FILE=EPP.ILM
    DEVICE = ASPIDISK.SYS

When the driver is loaded, it tells it can not find the adapter.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by 1ST1; September 13th, 2018 at 12:10 AM.

By the way, does anybody have a full list of parameters which are understood by ASPIPPM1.SYS? Until now I know about:

049 = country, to display german message
    INFO = display more details
    FILE=*.ILM where the ILM file describes the kind of parallel port, like NIBBLE.ILM, EPP.ILM, etc.

Maybe something to tell the driver to try LPT2 instead of LPT1?

Blog Entries

MANUAL.EXE has a list of the options for the various ASPI drivers. Assigning a PORT value might force the system to see LPT2. Check if there is an ILM correct for the specific chip used in the add on card. There are several parallel port chips that will not work with the Zip drive. It is annoying that Iomega only includes a compressed text manual in EXE format despite having plenty of room on the Tools disk or CD to provide uncompressed text.

Check to see if there is any way to put the add-on card at a lower port which would make it LPT1. Everything Zip is happier on LPT1. I don't know if the M24 will permit this.

It's not possible to make the addon card to LPT1. Because LPT1 is on the M24 mainboard and can not be disabled. The add on card has some unknown 40 pin IO chip and it has a jumper to switch between EPP and SPP. It is set to EPP, and I use EPP.ILM. This should match. guest.exe works fine, but takes so much memory.

I have checked the manual.exe, it even does not mention INFO and country code fpr aspippm1/2.sys. Maybe they are more general parameters which could be find elsewhere in that manual, the thing is stupid to read.

Blog Entries

Some of those options (like language) are mentioned in the general ASPI section which is just before the parallel port ASPIPPM section. I think PORT is also mentioned there though with no description of how to use.

I have tryed with /port=278, without success, even with nibble.ilm or nibble2.ilm.