Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning up a rusty Tandy 1000 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Go back and reread #3. Everything you need is at the corner hardware or auto parts store.
    I ended up finding everything except the zinc chromate. I'll try it this week and see how it goes.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I've always soaked things in vinegar to get the rust to come off.. usually takes a few days and has worked better than other solutions (I haven't done electrolysis since it's a bit of a pain, but that is also proven as well). You'll need to really dry it after and likely coat it with something after to keep the rust from returning. That said, i'm not sure how much of this is 'soakable'.. obviously the card covers are, but the whole back, no idea.
    I do this too. Soak for a day or two and the rust comes right off
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TL3/RLHD, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for a 1000TX mobo, EX/HX Serial / Parallel cards, and that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

I use vinegar for small parts but it would take gallons of vinegar to treat an entire PC chassis...so if the rain abates tomorrow for an hour or so I'm going to try the naval jelly.

4. Default

You donít have to submerge the whole thing. Just an inch or two in the bottom of a tub. You can do a side at a time.

Not that Iím trashing the naval jelly, never tried it.

Blog Entries

I use a belt sander and Rustoleum paint for cases with surface rust (generally case bottoms left in damp areas for years). There is some cool paint that looks like hammered silver metal which does a passable job of mimicking galvanized steel.silver-rust-oleum-universal-craft-spray-paint-261406-64_1000.jpg

A decent sand blaster would make life easier if I had to paint more then one case every few years (and wanted to strip all the paint off).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Painted it up yesterday, it's not the prettiest paint job but it should keep it protected for a while. I'll probably go back and do a coat of that hammered paint at some point in the future.