Image Map Image Map

Thread: Aptiva 2176 processor upgrade

Default Aptiva 2176 processor upgrade

Just picked up my second Aptiva 2176, with a factory Pentium 133. I swapped in a Pentium 200, that I know both works and is compatible, but nothing is showing up on the screen. I'm assuming I need to swap some jumpers around, and I found the following website with the jumper info, but can someone explain the clock speed and multiplier settings to me?

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...-2176-A-1.html

Stupid definition of multipliers is stupid on that motherboard.

Install jumpers across J35 from pins 1-2 and 3-4. DO NOT install them in any other orientation or motherboard destruction may result. If you're unsure, don't bother until you know enough about setting jumpers.

Also set JP10 to position 2-3 and JP11 to 1-2.

Before moving jumpers around, write down or take a picture of their original positions in case you have to go back. If you do not have enough jumpers, steal some off of old IDE hard drives or CD-ROMs.

I figured it was a stupid IBM design. I haven't done anything yet, but upon closer inspection, I have a different motherboard than the one listed and I can't find a manual. Guess I'm sticking with 166 mhz for the time being.

I saw a few motherboards when I looked up "Aptiva 2176", the one on the Stason page wasn't among them. You might have a different sub-model with a different board.

A picture of your board would be helpful in identifying which one it actually is.

5. Default

I happen to have a 200mhz Aptiva. Maybe its the same board? Send a pic and i can compare it.
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TL3/RLHD, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for a 1000TX mobo, EX/HX Serial / Parallel cards, and that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place