Image Map Image Map

Thread: 2 ESDI drives in my Model 80!

Default 2 ESDI drives in my Model 80!

It turns out that the hard drive that was in my dead Model 80 works perfectly! So I installed it into my working Model 80 as the secondary drive, giving me about 220MB of space (They're about 110MB each). I'd been needing some extra space on this thing, so this is very nice.

IMG_4090.jpgIMG_4089.jpg

This thing weighs an absolute TON now!

Also went ahead and replaced OS/2 with MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1, which makes this machine waaaaaay more useful. You can actually load up Windows 3.1 from within OS/2 2.11, but to me that just felt kind of clunky and not as good as a real copy of Windows. I also went ahead and removed the 8514/A adapter for now, once I realized it was not compatible with my 8513 monitor at all. The image I was seeing with it installed was the the on board VGA passing through the 8514/A. It also caused some issues when I was installing Windows (trying to drive my little VGA 8513 at 1024 X 768 ). So I'll keep it handy for whenever I find a high-res PS/2 display.

I still just can't get over how awesome this machine is. I love that it's an "all-business" machine. I really like machines that people got real work done on originally. Someone (or a business more than likely) payed probably not too far shy of $7000 dollars for this machine because they NEEDED it. Not like these people today that shell out $3K on a new rig just to play stupid games. Sure, games are fun and all, but spending literally THOUSANDS of dollars to play games is utter insanity IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    but spending literally THOUSANDS of dollars to play games is utter insanity IMO.
    You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a gaming rig to play modern titles. If you start with absolutely nothing, you could build a decent machine for around $800. If you really scrounge and don't mind used parts, you can do it for a whole lot less.

The reason people drop several grand on machines these days is more of a status symbol than anything. Riced up PCs is the norm these days with cancerous RGB lighting.

As for your machine, you got a nice setup there. I miss the days of cases packed with gear, modern machines have everything integrated on the CPU or a bridge chip and are barren.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The reason people drop several grand on machines these days is more of a status symbol than anything. Riced up PCs is the norm these days with cancerous RGB lighting.
    Well, that’s an even dumber reason. Couldn’t agree more about that damned RGB lighting!