Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Full length pci cards

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
    Posts
    279

    Default Full length pci cards

    Not sure were to post this, figured this was as good as a place as any.

    I'm putting together a mid/late 90s workstation/server system and was wanting to use longer full size PCI cards.
    Does anyone know of any P.N. or models of things like IO cards, scsi cards, video cards and so on that are far longer then the normal PCI card? And have of a more mid 90s workstation/server look to them? I'm wanting to get cards as long as a AWE32. But anything on the longer side would be nice.

    Thanks.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan, USA
    Posts
    375

    Default

    I had a Dell Adaptec PCI SCSI card that barely fit in my Socket 7 desktop.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    I had a Dell Adaptec PCI SCSI card that barely fit in my Socket 7 desktop.
    I seen alot of scsi cards that are really long. But no so much for com/Parallel or video cards and so on.
    Lucky I have a nice late 90s server case so I can fix long cards in it. But don't all have to be GUS/SB32 long, but having cards on the longer side would look more correct for the system.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    By the time PCI came around, large discrete logic I/O cards had pretty much disappeared due to the falling cost of ASICs. Really the only large cards you'll find are like system specific multifunction cards, FPGA dev boards and proprietary I/O boards for industrial use.

    The only medium and long-ish cards I can think of from the time are video cards from 3dfx/Quantum 3D. The Voodoo Rush was a really long card due to it being a combo 2D/3D card, as was the Voodoo2. Quantum 3D made some really large Voodoo2 boards as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    28,870
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    I've got a couple of full-length Adaptec AHA3985 SCSI RAID cards. They end in a little plastic bracket that correctly offsets the card center to fit the back-of-card guides (which were originally for full-length ISA cards).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    By the time PCI came around, large discrete logic I/O cards had pretty much disappeared due to the falling cost of ASICs. Really the only large cards you'll find are like system specific multifunction cards, FPGA dev boards and proprietary I/O boards for industrial use.

    The only medium and long-ish cards I can think of from the time are video cards from 3dfx/Quantum 3D. The Voodoo Rush was a really long card due to it being a combo 2D/3D card, as was the Voodoo2. Quantum 3D made some really large Voodoo2 boards as well.
    That I know. Witch is why I asked. I know of a hand full of longer pci video cards like the rush and some pre 3d cards.
    Do you know of any longer multifunction cards or proprietary I/O boards for industrial use? The system I'm putting together is a picmg system so industrial cards would fit in rather well.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I've got a couple of full-length Adaptec AHA3985 SCSI RAID cards. They end in a little plastic bracket that correctly offsets the card center to fit the back-of-card guides (which were originally for full-length ISA cards).
    Thanks
    I seen many longer scis pci cards, its about the only full length pci cards I'm seeing.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Do you know of any longer multifunction cards or proprietary I/O boards for industrial use? The system I'm putting together is a picmg system so industrial cards would fit in rather well.
    I've seen many over the years, but I didn't keep part numbers because there was no reason to. Really don't know why you'd want very expensive random I/O cards just to have them stuffed in a case not being used.

    Here's a PCI-X FPGA card if you want to drop a grand on it:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/151072258898

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I've seen many over the years, but I didn't keep part numbers because there was no reason to. Really don't know why you'd want very expensive random I/O cards just to have them stuffed in a case not being used.
    This is for a socket 7 picmg system, ill be needing com/serial, lpt, usb cards and so on.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    28,870
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    About the only full-length PCI cards that you're likely to see other than SCSI (that RAID card I mentioned essentially has 3 AHA2940 controllers on it and a PCI-PCI bridge) will be CPU cards or very special-purpose cards, such as image processing and the like.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •