Image Map Image Map

Thread: Some questions about Portable 286

Default Some questions about Portable 286

Today I acquired myself a working (well...mostly working) Portable 286. However, I have some questions I kinda need answers to and this machine is just obscure enough I haven't found them so far.

1. This machine has dual floppy drives that seem to be identical. Is this a factory configuration, and if so, are these 1.2MB or 360k drives? I tried a 1.2MB disk I had and it didn't work, but I don't know if that's due to dirty heads and stuck rails or incompatible disk formatting.

2. Does this machine require one of those Compaq setup disks? If so, where could I find the disk image?

Blog Entries

minuszerodegrees has a copy of the maintenance manual for the Portable, Plus and 286 so search for that.

Can be either 1.2 MB or 360 kB. 102928-001 is the number of the 360; 102775-001 is the number for the 1.2 MB.

Not sure on the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by itsvince725 View Post
    2. Does this machine require one of those Compaq setup disks? If so, where could I find the disk image?
    SP0308.EXE suits many Compaq models, including the Portable 286. Usually found on the Internet as part of SP0308.ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    SP0308.EXE suits many Compaq models, including the Portable 286. Usually found on the Internet as part of SP0308.ZIP
    Thanks, I'll have to look for that. And thanks for the suggestion to check minuszerodegrees, a manual is going to help me a lot.

That's a nice machine you've got there! I love the Portable 286. It's an interesting machine that came after the Plus and before the II.

It's also one of the less common Compaq Portables. Not rare, but not as common as a Plus or a II.

Took the floppy drives out for cleaning, both are Mitsubishi drives but different models with different Molex placement. The A drive is PN# U241B954-71-C and the B drive is PN# U241B88A02-D. Both have a Compaq sticker on the back marked 1511. Anyone know these drives?

EDIT: The A drive is definitely 1.2MB, it booted off a 1.2MB DOS 6.22 floppy just fine after a little coaxing. The B drive I'm still unsure about.
    Last edited by itsvince725; September 21st, 2018 at 09:13 AM.