Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Olivetti M24 and IMD -> No interrupt from FDC

Default Olivetti M24 and IMD -> No interrupt from FDC

Hello, I am trying to read/write IMD disk images using IMD ( version imd118 ) on my Olivetti M24. But that seems not to be possible. I always get the error message "No interrupt from FDC". The same error message from testfdc program from IMD118 directory. I already tryed LR=250 as start parameter to IMD to tell it that it's only XT floppy controller.

Something wrong with my M24? Or incompatibility problem?

Other software which can handle IMD images on M24? (I tested 22disk and aliendisk, they support ETV 300 disk format, but they seems to be olnly file based)

I need IMD with a real 40 track drive and my M24 is the best one I have to fullfill this requirement. It's because I want to write disk images which are for Olivetti ETV 300 (wordprocessor runninng on CP/M 2.2) which is also 40 tracks, and some tipps for writing ETV 300 images is to use a 40 track drive as 80 track drives would write too thin tracks which ETV 300 drives (160 kB ALPS drives, same mechanics as in Commodore VC1541 and some Apple II drives) would not be able to read such disks.
    Last edited by 1ST1; September 15th, 2018 at 07:18 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't know what Dave did differently in his IMD, but I don't recall having problems with the M24/6300 when doing 22Disk, Anadisk, Teledisk, etc. (If you want to image a disk, you might try finding an old copy of the last program; Dave's got a utility to convert from TD0 images).

Dave includes a utility to test the FDC to see exactly what formats it will/will not write. TESTFDC is in the Ver 1.18 package.
    Give it a test on a floppy that is a spare and not one you are wanting to copy. It will give you information on the various
    formats it is able to write.

You likely will need to locate a DOS Machine that has a FDC that is more compatible.

If you have cpmtools (or cpmtools built with libdsk) you can access an image of the Floppy. Anadisk will copy the sectors,
    but there again, you need hardware that will read the floppy.

libdsk's dsktrans should also be able to make the copy.

DSKTRANS Copy from one floppy or image file to another

SYNOPSIS:
    dsktrans [-itype TYPE] [-otype TYPE] [-iside SIDE] [-oside SIDE] [-icomp COMP] [-ocomp COMP]
    [-idstep] [-odstep] [-retry COUNT] [-format FMT] [-first CYLINDER] [-last CYLINDER]
    [-comment TEXT] [-comment @FILE] [-md3] [-logical] [-apricot] [-pcdos] [-noformat] INPUT-IMAGE OUTPUT-IMAGE

dsktrans copies floppy discs or images, optionally converting image types. This is a high-level copy which assumes
    that the disc has a straightforward geometry; all the tracks are assumed to have the same layout of sectors, and
    interleave is not preserved.

To convert the imagedisk .imd images back to .img (raw - you can rename .raw to .img) use:

Code:
        dsktrans -otype raw -format sin2 ElwroG1.dsk ElwroG1.raw
        dsktrans -otype raw -format amp1 AmprOrig.dsk AmprOrig.raw
        cpmls -d -T raw,elwro -f elwro ElwroG1.img
        cpmls -d -T raw,pcw720 -f elwro ElwroG1.img
        cpmls -d -T edsk,elwro -f elwro ElwroG1.dsk
    libdsk can also be used standalone to convert from a Cylinder/Head/Sector disk image (as used by, for example, VirtualBox)
    to a dump in file system order:

dsktrans -itype raw -otype logical -format ibm1440 infile.vfd outfile.cpmfs
    and back:
    dsktrans -itype logical -otype raw -format ibm1440 infile.cpmfs outfile.vfd

dsktrans -otype floppy 720CPM86.IMG /dev/fd0

dsktrans /dev/fd0 filename.ufi -otype raw
    cpmcp -f amstrad filename.ufi 0:filename .

dsktrans -itype qm -otype raw input output
    or even
    dsktrans -itype qm -otype floppy input /dev/fd0

These definitions should work, but haven't been tested on an actual floppy.

# OLI1 Olivetti ETV300 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 256 x 18
    diskdef oli1
    seclen 256
    tracks 40
    sectrk 18
    blocksize 1024
    maxdir 64
    skew 2
    boottrk 2
    os 2.2
    end

# libdsk data below
    [oli1]
    description = OLI1 Olivetti ETV300 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 256 x 18
    cylinders = 40
    heads = 1
    secsize = 256
    sectors = 18
    secbase = 1
    datarate = DD

Larry

I'll second Teledisk. Give it a try. And it's way simpler to use.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Ok, I will try your hints, just tested teledisk, but the problem is, teledisk seems only to accept disks in MS-DOS format... It shows read error with the ETV 300 disk.

Important is also, that I got some IMD images from @enrico three years ago for ETV 300 which I want to try.

TESTFDC from IMD118 also reports the Interrupt error. I already tested aliendisk (disk type and 22disk (oli1), they are working fine with ETV 300 pyhsical disks, but they can not handle IMD images.

As for "hardware which can read the disk", aliendisk and 22disk can read the ETV 300 physical diskette, but both are only operating in file base, so I can not make sector by sector disk image.

So now I gave anadisk a chance. The good message is, that now I have a working copy of my ETV 300 boot diskette. Anadisk also can dump disk to image, I currently test that. But anadisk also can not read imd images.

update: now I have a dump image made by anadisk on my ZIP drive, but I don't see a function in anadisk to write it back to disk....??? So I can not share my disk image with someone else.
    Last edited by 1ST1; September 15th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    Ok, I will try your hints, just tested teledisk, but the problem is, teledisk seems only to accept disks in MS-DOS format... It shows read error with the ETV 300 disk.
    This is not the case.

I have used Teledisk to make images from Intel iRMS disks.

From the Teledisk manual:

TeleDisk is a utility which will convert any diskette into a file and vice-
    versa. The diskette need not be a DOS diskette; certain types of "copy-
    protected" diskettes are also handled. The result is an exact copy of the
    original diskette.

So, if Teledisk is not able to read the ETV 300 disk it is possible the disk is corrupt.

Can you read this disk on its native machine?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

The disk is not corrupt, as it it is fully working in ETV 300 and anadisk can copy it without errors. ETV 300 disk format is totally different from MS-DOS type, 128 Byte sector in track 0, 256 byte sectors, 16 sectors per track in other tracks. Teledisk may copy Intel iRMS because it uses the same setor layout like MS-DOS (512 bytes per sector).

Meanwhile I had some more experience. Above I told, 22disk would handle the ETV 300 disks with M24 correctly. But this was only based by very short test, reading the director of the ETV 300 disk. But after I made a copy of the original disk using Anadisk I cleaned up the copy by deleting some MWP (ETV 300 wordprocessor software) documents, I tryed to copy some CP/M software to that disk.

Here 22disk failed with some error message. The disk remained unchanged, not corrupt, as ETV 300 still could read it.

So I gave Aliendisk a try, and this one was able to write the files to the ETV 300 disk. But aliendisk also has some disadvantage, like no wildcard support for filename, current directory is the program folder of aliendisk, so if I want to copy a bunch of files to a ETV 300 disk, I must first copy Aliendisk in the folder where I have stored the CP/M file, start from there and copy each file with full name seperately. Anyhow, with Aliendisk I was able to run ZORK on ETV 300 as a first test.

Today I will try if my Olivetti M4 Modulo P100i (Pentium 100, 1.2 MB HD drive as B would be able to write to ETV 300 disk in a way that ETV can read it. (22disk warns about doing so as the physical track written by a HD drive would be too narrow for reading with the ALPS 40 tracks drive (same ALPS mechanics as in Comodore VC 1541 drive for C=64). I will have to test if this is true, aybe it helps afterwards, to copy the written disk again with Anadisk on M24...?

The disk is not corrupt, as it it is fully working in ETV 300 and anadisk can copy it without errors.
    If Anadisk can read it I would think Teledisk should be able to read it as well.

Maybe Chuck can inject something here.

BTW, what version of Teledisk are you using?

Teledisk 2.23. That is the latest version I have (I found about 20 different versions)

Blog Entries

128 byte sectors on track 0? You've been fibbing to us--that track is FM (single density), which the integrated controller in the M24 doesn't handle. So no, you're not going to image the whole disk on the M24. I think I've got an ETV300 disk in my samples; if you're unsure, I can dig it out.

Best bet for you is to find a PC with a controller that is FM friendly--use DD's testfdc program to verify.