Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 5150 to XT upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    And as for your question Casey, I'm on the Kentucky side of the river, about 20-40 minutes out from the city itself, depending on traffic.
    Then why in the heck do you have Cincinnati listed as location? Don't get all cocky because youse guys have the airport.

For the non-locals: the Greater Cincinnati Airport is in northern Kentucky. Don't look at me, it wasn't my idea...

So, have you had a chance to play with the PC yet? How's that coming along?

Blog Entries

Seemingly 80% of the population of Cincinnati lives in Covington, KY..

I like Cincinnati. But for the size of the downtown, they sure have more than their share of shady characters. And nobody there knows what a brat is. You have to say "bratwurst."

PC is coming along interestingly. Still can't get the drives to load, I think they might be kaput. I snagged the monitor from the parish office, and they even threw in a PC XT and some old cards they had. So now I'm trying to figure out what I should put into said computers. I've uploaded pictures of all the cards I got, if anyone knows what configuration would give me the best bang for my buck, please lemme know.

As for the location, I think it's a lot easier to say I'm just in Cincinnati rather than try to give a more precise location, haha.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Seemingly 80% of the population of Cincinnati lives in Covington, KY..

I like Cincinnati. But for the size of the downtown, they sure have more than their share of shady characters. And nobody there knows what a brat is. You have to say "bratwurst."
    Covington, or Florence. And God forbid you pronounce Louisville as "lewis ville!" It's ... "loua-vul" but the first two syllables are elided into one. It's not the same as "lou-vul," but it sounds similar to outlanders.

I'm somewhat surprised about the brat confusion. The local Kroger stores have always had brats in the hot dog section. Some are even flogged as "ball-park brats." I'm surprised you didn't say anything about our infamous Cincinnati chili and/or cheese coneys.

My sister had some friends visit, once. The first thing that confused them was landing in Kentucky. Then after crossing the river they see "Welcome to the Queen City!" That got some odd looks (this was back in the 70s). It was all downhill after the chili... Heh.

The city has some great architecture. The Over The Rhine area has become rather gentrified, and is apparently has become famous as "one of the largest, most intact urban historic district in the United States." I know there were many Italianate & Gothic buildings, but didn't know about the Queen Anne, Greek Revival, and Art Deco works.

Enough blather. Going rather off topic here. Sorry.

Blog Entries

Heh! I'm not the only one talking about Looavul.

Florence isn't a bad place; it reminds me of home, a lot. I don't think I ever experienced that Kentucky rain that keeps pouring down there though. Maybe you have to go through a dozen towns to see that.

I don't eat chili, so don't know anything about it. Everytime I go there everyone tells me to go to some barbecue joint and get the ribs. I never bother because I doubt I'd like them. I make the best ribs I've ever had and it's pretty rare for any restaurant to meet my standards (the whole reason I sought to perfect them in my kitchen).

I finally figured out how to get round the city, but I never figured out how to park somewhere downtown and walk to a restaurant without being insatiably followed by some kind of hustler or beggar.

But where are the fourth twelfth and eighth sixth banks?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    PC is coming along interestingly. Still can't get the drives to load, I think they might be kaput. I snagged the monitor from the parish office, and they even threw in a PC XT and some old cards they had. So now I'm trying to figure out what I should put into said computers. I've uploaded pictures of all the cards I got, if anyone knows what configuration would give me the best bang for my buck, please lemme know.
    It's hard to say (for me, anyway) since parallel & serial ports look much the same from the side. The difference is that a parallel port is a female DB-25 connector while a serial is a male DB-25 connector. IBM model 5170 and later also featured serial ports as a male DB-9 connector. CGA & MDA featured female DB-9 connectors.

Image #1 (confusingly labeled "card2") is a display & parallel card. The jumpers look like they can be set to MDA, CGA, or CGA mono. Interesting.

Image #2 looks like a floppy controller.

Image #3 is an AST Six-Pak Premium. It has a clock/calendar, serial, parallel, and (I think) game port connectors available. You would need extra cables to make use of all of them. It seems to have a daughter card for memory, all populated. I count 4 banks of 9 chips each, but can't make out the capacity on the chips. If this sucker still works, it includes all sorts of goodies, especially the memory & clock/calendar. Bonus: it uses a coin battery.

Image #4 is (from the connectors I see on the top center of the card) is a hard drive controller. Probably MFM as that was far more common than RLL encoding.

Image #5 looks like a parallel port card, but it might be scsi. Never messed with scsi, so I'm not that familiar with them.

Image #6 The top one is definitely an IBM floppy controller, or an exact clone. The bottom one looks like the hard drive controller my ancient Xebec hard drive uses. Nope, just checked minuszerodegrees.net and it isn't the Xebec controller. It's probably another MFM encoding drive controller.

Image #7 looks like an Everex EV-640 display card. While trying to figure out what kind of card, I found an old thread here wherein Chuckles(G) helps out. If I read it correctly, it can do Herc mono or CGA.

Looks like you have a nice assortment of cards there. Did the 5160 come with a monitor or a keyboard?

Blog Entries

You're not going to get help from me by calling me Chuckles.

Blog Entries

Years ago I had a far less inappropriate nickname then that. Believe you me I will not be using it _ever_ again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You're not going to get help from me by calling me Chuckles.

Sorry, Bozz. Iz is a bad cat.