Image Map Image Map

Thread: 360k 5.25" floppy in TL/2

Default 360k 5.25" floppy in TL/2

Wanting to add a 360k 5.25" floppy to my TL2. It already has a 3.5" 720k and the original cable tandy modified cable for the 5.25. The difficulties are as follows:

1. Can't seem to locate a 25-1063 (think that was the model number)
    2. Going the non-tandy route, the cable is short and would require a drive with a connector that is more centered and flipped (connector split is on the right instead of left like most drives)

Questions:

1. Who made the 25-1063 (their internal drive) for Tandy?
    2. If I can find a drive that has a more centered drive connector that doesn't have the connector flipped is it ok to flip these drives and use them upside down?
    3. Is there such a thing as a flat (no interleave in the cable) card edge 34 IDC male -> female extension cable? Modex extender isn't an issue but not finding the ribbon cable I'd need to make this happen.
    4. Anyone using a drive the worked for them with no hoops to jump through (centered and flipped) ?

2. Default

Don't non-Tandy drives require pin cutting in the TLs in order to cut the power supplied from the mainboard?

The Tandy oem ribbon cable connects in the middle to motherboard. One end goes to the 3.5 (lines intact). The other end (pretty short since the 5.25 bay is directly in front of the motherboard connector) has a single IDC card edge connector on it which goes to the 5.25 with the lines pre-cut by Tandy since all 5.25 drives used a molex for power. So pretty much any 5.25 will work but if I want to just use the existing the ribbon cable the difficulties are as described in my original post.

4. Default

I just made my own cable out of a regular IDE cable. The stock cable is just a pain to work with.
    I didn’t connect mine in the middle of the cable. One end to the board, the middle to the 3.5, and the end (with power cut out) to the 5.25.
    Also if you want to extend your current cable. Don’t bother with the card edge part. Extend it from the motherboard, then attach the current cable to that.
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TL3/RLHD, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for a 1000TX mobo, EX/HX Serial / Parallel cards, and that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPoobah View Post
    I just made my own cable out of a regular IDE cable. The stock cable is just a pain to work with.
    I didnít connect mine in the middle of the cable. One end to the board, the middle to the 3.5, and the end (with power cut out) to the 5.25.
    Also if you want to extend your current cable. Donít bother with the card edge part. Extend it from the motherboard, then attach the current cable to that.
    DOH! I didn't even THINK of that. Thanks!