Image Map Image Map

Thread: BASIC programs for BASIC.COM on Z80 (Olivetti ETV 300)

Default BASIC programs for BASIC.COM on Z80 (Olivetti ETV 300)

Hello, I have some disk images for my Olivetti ETV 300, and with them I got also a folder with some the extracted files from there. One of the disks contains a BASIC.COM which should be a BASIC interpreter. (Other one contains wordstar) But unfortunatelly I have no BASIC programs for it.

I still remember when working at Olivetti we had also this BASIC.COM on a games disk for the ETV 300, but it came with a good douzen of BASIC programs. I don't know if these programs were generally spread on CP/M computers, or they were specific for ETV 300. I only remember one of the games by name, that was SUBHUNT.BAS, because I printed that source code out to paper and used it as a base to rewirte that game at home on my Commodore 64 in CBM BASIC abot 30 years ago. Subhunt was about a submarine moving under sealevel and a warship hunting it and dropping bombs. I think, also a version of the game hangman was part of the collection of these basic programs.

At the moment I still can not say which dialect of BASIC is BASIC.COM, maybe you know. I will transfer the file to an ETV 300 disk later this day and maybe then I may know more. But maybe the game SUBHUNT.BAS reminds you which BASIC dialect that is...?
    Last edited by 1ST1; September 16th, 2018 at 12:57 AM.

Update: I now was able to transfer BASIC.COM to the ETV 300 diskette and started it there. It is Microsoft BASIC-80 Version 5.21 1977-1981.

Do you have a collection of programs for it, prefered some games and funny things?

Blog Entries

Retroarchive has a CP/M collection of Creative Computing BASIC games which should help get things started.

Also, from the same overall site, are located CPMUG disks of which several are filled with MS BASIC programs. Some overlap of games.

Do you have a link?

Blog Entries

There is also a BBC basic implementation for CP/M which is currently maintained

http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcbasic/z80basic.html

that will run a whole pile of BBC micro and related stuff.

krebizfan, thanks for the links. The 2nd contains archives in ark format, how to extract them, prefered on (fast) PC?

Blog Entries

The ARK extension is used to indicate that the file was made using a CP/M port of ARC. IZArc will open them under Windows. There are a number of ports for Linux but I haven't used them. The old MS-DOS ARC program worked in a virtualized DOS session.