Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PowerBook G4 A1085 - SSD and memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Silicon Power Industrial 32gb. I switched to SSD when they were cheap enough to be practical
    and have continued to use them on the two G3s that I use regularly.

The only issue is making sure you remember to have the boot partition small enough for MacOS to support
    if you're going to be running that

The G4 has a right angle adapter similar to the one in the G3 that is part of the metal assembly the drive
    goes into.
    Attachment 48190
    Attachment 48191
    Thank you for the info. Now I am prepared. I am only waiting to have the possibility to buy directly from Amazon... and I am also waiting for the 2 Gb RAM!

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Remember, this is an Apple product, you're paying apple tax on top of the normal MSRP.
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but OWC isn't owned by Apple. In any event, he could buy an IDE 128GB Kingspec drive for about the same price (or a 64GB for half the price), but instead of the 3-year warranty that OWC provides, he only gets a 30-day warranty/return window.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA4YU3YX3508
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA4YU3YX3505

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but OWC isn't owned by Apple. In any event, he could buy an IDE 128GB Kingspec drive for about the same price (or a 64GB for half the price), but instead of the 3-year warranty that OWC provides, he only gets a 30-day warranty/return window.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA4YU3YX3508
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA4YU3YX3505
    I was serious. Today I brought the memory of my A1085 to 2 Gb and... I discovered that the HD is not directly accessible from outside.
    I suppose I have to completely open the Mac. Since I am "a bit afraid" of opening Apple "things", before buying the HD I am going to look for a video on YouTube that explain...

Just chipping in regarding 44-pin IDE to mSATA converters.

I tried an el-cheapo $10 one from eBay on a Powerbook G3. It recognised the drive in OSX disk tools; however the machine would hang randomly while installing/formatting or even just running a OSX.

I switched to a Lindy branded 44-pin IDE to mSata and it works absolutely flawlessly. It cost $50AUD (so about $28USD) but it was totally worth it.

Link to the Lindy website - or you can get them on eBay
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flaviosr View Post
    I was serious. Today I brought the memory of my A1085 to 2 Gb and... I discovered that the HD is not directly accessible from outside.
    That's been a thing since forever. I think the last portable Apple had a user accessible hard drive was the Macintosh Portable.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

The Wallstreet G3 had a HD under the keyboard that was easy to get to without taking the whole machine apart.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, those too. I must of mixed up the drive with the AirPort card.
    = Excellent space heater

Early 2016 MacBook Pro is the last portable that had a user accessible (and non-warranty-voiding serviceable) drive. You had to remove the bottom case (8 screws), but it's right there. When they went to the thinner design, it was an mSATA drive then m.2.

The old 2005-2007 MacBook had the HDD hidden behind a metal bracket in the battery area. Only required 3 screws to get to it, then it slid out.

Initially, Apple's BTO options aren't too overpriced. However, Apple never adjusts the price on their options even on older machines. So they eventually end up being twice as much (or more) than retail options. I used to get the base model and then upgrade the RAM and drive myself, then sell the old RAM and drive. But these days the RAM is soldered and the drives can be difficult to get to. 3rd party mSATA and m.2 drives can be problematic, and often have to wait for 2nd generation 3rd party drives as they fix the compatibility issues.

This quest for thinner devices is very annoying. I've been holding onto my 2015 MacBook Pro, but it's showing its age. Plus, I already replaced the video card on it once under the extended Warranty, so once the video card goes again I'll have no choice but replace it. Honestly, AMD should be the one paying for a new computer since it was their broken-ass crap in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    Early 2016 MacBook Pro is the last portable that had a user accessible (and non-warranty-voiding serviceable) drive. You had to remove the bottom case (8 screws), but it's right there. When they went to the thinner design, it was an mSATA drive then m.2.

The old 2005-2007 MacBook had the HDD hidden behind a metal bracket in the battery area. Only required 3 screws to get to it, then it slid out.

Initially, Apple's BTO options aren't too overpriced. However, Apple never adjusts the price on their options even on older machines. So they eventually end up being twice as much (or more) than retail options. I used to get the base model and then upgrade the RAM and drive myself, then sell the old RAM and drive. But these days the RAM is soldered and the drives can be difficult to get to. 3rd party mSATA and m.2 drives can be problematic, and often have to wait for 2nd generation 3rd party drives as they fix the compatibility issues.

This quest for thinner devices is very annoying. I've been holding onto my 2015 MacBook Pro, but it's showing its age. Plus, I already replaced the video card on it once under the extended Warranty, so once the video card goes again I'll have no choice but replace it. Honestly, AMD should be the one paying for a new computer since it was their broken-ass crap in the first place.
    So I have only to unscrew all the below screws, remove the bottom cover and I free the HD? Sounds good...

Itís a little more difficult than that. Check out the instructions at ifixit for guidance.