Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Brittle Plastic

And you run the risk of ruining your vehicle, getting stranded, injured or dying. I used to leave in ANY weather. I guess as you get older and garner experi3nce you realize you're not invincible after all. Better to play it safe and if necessary lose a day's pay. You never know what you'll encounter when everything goes to hell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Is there some reason you need to be at work during a natural disaster? Unless someone is a first responder or military your argument is a little silly. You can't be prepared for everything, so you prepare for what's most likely and required. Even your 4WD truck won't get you through 10' of flood water.
    Silly? Providing for one's family and paying the bills is not silly in my book. You don't have to be military or first responder to get fired for not showing up for work. Not round here anyway.

Where is 10' of flood water that can't be circumnavigated?

You're kind of making my point though. A Prius (and a lot of other cars people own) is only practical if you don't really need to go anywhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    And you run the risk of ruining your vehicle, getting stranded, injured or dying. I used to leave in ANY weather. I guess as you get older and garner experi3nce you realize you're not invincible after all. Better to play it safe and if necessary lose a day's pay. You never know what you'll encounter when everything goes to hell.
    You also run the risk of finding someoneb else who really is stranded, and possibly helping them out. When I go out in bad weather, I prepare for that.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Silly? Providing for one's family and paying the bills is not silly in my book. You don't have to be military or first responder to get fired for not showing up for work. Not round here anyway.

Where is 10' of flood water that can't be circumnavigated?

You're kind of making my point though. A Prius (and a lot of other cars people own) is only practical if you don't really need to go anywhere.
    Take a vacation day? Surely you get time off.

10' of flood water...New Orleans 2005.

Your "point" is still ridiculous. Your work didn't fire 144 people for not coming in during a blizzard.
    Last edited by Plasma; September 21st, 2018 at 04:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Clearly you live in a different world than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Take a vacation day? Surely you get time off.
    Scheduled vacation, yes. Last minute? No. Special circumstances? No.

10' of flood water...New Orleans 2005.
    Anyone who lives where they could be under 10' of water should have a boat. In a place like that, everything is 10' under water, and there's nowhere to go or be. I don't live in a place like that. When we have natural disasters, they are very localised.

Your "point" is still ridiculous. Your work didn't fire 144 people for not coming in during a blizzard.
    My point that a Prius is only practical if you don't really need to go anywhere is ridiculous? How is that ridiculous?

In 2008, no. In 2017? You can bet your life that my work would fire 144 people for not coming in during a blizzard. The governor has to issue a State of Emergency, and then the company will review the situation. I'm not making this up, it's contractual. The governor did not issue a State of Emergency during that blizzard in 2008, nor during most situations where driving a Prius would make it difficult or impossible for me to get to work.

Well whatever the particulars are of your job, the utter vast majority of people would just stay home with no repercussions, or tell the boss where to go for being such a tyrant. I can't imagine what it is you do and I won't pry. We were responding to your comment along the lines of "I won't miss a day of work for bad weather", not a direct quote. And an employer that would fire 144 people? Shades of Reagan firing striking air traffic controllers.

Blog Entries

In other words, if it's perfectly okay for you to be stranded at home or at work, then a Prius is perfectly feasible.

QED.

In other words, I'm not going to prepare for a scenario that's very unlikely to occur. Just like you aren't prepared for a 10' flood. Where is your boat? Where is your helicopter?

You're giving Chuck crap because he can't drive through a flood that will never happen. Very few people need to drive to work during a natural disaster. I'd take a sick day before I risk my life only to show up and see 90% of my coworkers are out.

I own a Camry and I've never been stranded. Used tire chains a few times in the snow and ice. All other natural disasters, including floods, are highly unlikely where I live.

So yes, it's a silly argument.

In less then 2 seconds out will come the wooden spoon! I ain't kidding.