Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please save these Polymorphic machines

Default Please save these Polymorphic machines

These are in Dallas Texas. If someone doesn't pick them up they'll be recycled.
    There are several 8813s, 8810s and one poly88 ( no cover ). He had documentation as well, some keyboards and monitors. These are rare machines. I have system88 software for the 8813/8810s. I also have cassette images for the poly88.
    I would easily drive 300 miles to save these from the cruncher but I'm halfway across the states.
    See my other post in Others section.
    Contact me.
    Dwight

Dwight,

I also live in Dallas and have been in touch with Chuck about the equipment. I won't let it go to the trash!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    Dwight,

I also live in Dallas and have been in touch with Chuck about the equipment. I won't let it go to the trash!

Mike
    Thank You
    Dwight

So, were the machines saved?

I haven’t picked up the equipment yet, but I’m in contact wth the owner to do so.

Mike

If you can't make it before his deadline, please let me know.

After four hours of moving, the first load of rescue is complete. He had more equipment than originally thought. I picked up ten 8813’s, six 8810’s, eleven keyboards (six with the numeric keypad), several boxes of Poly boards, and a few hundred disks. Still to pick up on the next trip are about 8-10 monitors, a couple of external drives, and five boxes of original documentation (lots of duplicates).

The condition and completeness of each system is unknown at this point. He recalls pulling boards from a number of systems for other people. But there are also several boxes of poly boards separate from the systems. Drives are missing from some of the cabinets. Ths equipment was not stored in a garage or attic, however, some items had a full 1/4” blanket of dust on them. I need a breathing treatment

Mike

Hi Mike
    He seemed to think he'd been using double density controllers, for 5.25 disk. I have the binary for the 8 inch controller that I think was basically the same hardware as the 5.25 disk controller, except for component changes to the timing of the PLL and clock separator timing. I know from looking at the data from double density 5.25 that the header data was slightly different than the code used for the 8 inch disk. I'd modified the 8 inch code enough that I could read sectors and modified the 8 inch controller board that I had to work reasonably well with the 5.25 MFM data.
    If he'd in fact had 5.25 double density, I'd be most interested in either a controller board or a dump of the ROM on the board.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    After four hours of moving, the first load of rescue is complete. He had more equipment than originally thought. I picked up ten 8813s, six 8810s, eleven keyboards (six with the numeric keypad), several boxes of Poly boards, and a few hundred disks. Still to pick up on the next trip are about 8-10 monitors, a couple of external drives, and five boxes of original documentation (lots of duplicates).

The condition and completeness of each system is unknown at this point. He recalls pulling boards from a number of systems for other people. But there are also several boxes of poly boards separate from the systems. Drives are missing from some of the cabinets. Ths equipment was not stored in a garage or attic, however, some items had a full 1/4 blanket of dust on them. I need a breathing treatment

Mike
    Thanks for rescuing them! That's a lot of Poly's in one place!

Are the keyboards all for 8813s/8810s? I keep hoping one day to find the actual keyboard Poly provided for the 88.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Hi Mike
    He seemed to think he'd been using double density controllers, for 5.25 disk. I have the binary for the 8 inch controller that I think was basically the same hardware as the 5.25 disk controller, except for component changes to the timing of the PLL and clock separator timing. I know from looking at the data from double density 5.25 that the header data was slightly different than the code used for the 8 inch disk. I'd modified the 8 inch code enough that I could read sectors and modified the 8 inch controller board that I had to work reasonably well with the 5.25 MFM data.
    If he'd in fact had 5.25 double density, I'd be most interested in either a controller board or a dump of the ROM on the board.
    Dwight
    I see a few DSDD controllers in the boxes of boards separate from systems. The owner also pointed to the two different colored stickers on many of the drives in the systems and said that's how he knew which were SSSD and which were DSDD. So yes, it appears we'll be able to find you a DSDD controller and/or dump a ROM.

Mike