Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't stand the bugs in Linux, so i'm switching back to Windows, quick questions

4GB, Devuan-amd64.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

OS idle uses about 400MB, Chrome with a few tabs open uses 2G, so if you greatly exceeded that you may have been excessively swapping. My 4GB laptop running Windows 7 does the same thing running Chrome with a few tabs to busy sites open, so this isn't limited to Linux.

If Linux isn't working smoothly for you, then by all means, switch to something else. I think people reacted strongly less about an OS war, and more about just trying to solve the technical problem of what you were seeing.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

At least now the linux will be politically correct.
    :P

Blog Entries

On my legacy equipment, I have a web browser under Linux (usually an old version of Firefox because of SSE2 lack), but only rarely use it. If I'm after a specific file, wget will usually get it for me. Otherwise, I'll just down/upload what I need on a more recent system and ftp to the destination from there. Not a big thing.

One thing that I've noted of late is that if the host returns a 503 error, Firefox just gives you a blank screen. Chromium will tell you that there's a 503 issue. I find that irritating--does anyone know a workaround that will actually show the 503 status? (FF 62.0 x64 here).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    On my legacy equipment, I have a web browser under Linux (usually an old version of Firefox because of SSE2 lack), but only rarely use it. If I'm after a specific file, wget will usually get it for me. Otherwise, I'll just down/upload what I need on a more recent system and ftp to the destination from there. Not a big thing.

One thing that I've noted of late is that if the host returns a 503 error, Firefox just gives you a blank screen. Chromium will tell you that there's a 503 issue. I find that irritating--does anyone know a workaround that will actually show the 503 status? (FF 62.0 x64 here).
    Doesn't the '503' error indicate a server error on the other end, like maybe it's busy? 'CTRL+R' or 'F5' gets your screen back if in W10.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Yes, 503 is a server busy or often, undergoing serivce. Chromium reports the 503, but Firefox dumbly sits and gives me a blank screen with no content.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Yes, 503 is a server busy or often, undergoing serivce. Chromium reports the 503, but Firefox dumbly sits and gives me a blank screen with no content.
    Maybe it's something with your configuration, because Firefox does support the 503 error, and I have seen it myself in Firefox.

Blog Entries

I wonder if it's a FF plugin that's doing the dirt. I'll have to try it on a fresh install.

A web browser (firefox or chromium or, well, all of them) is just *the* way to eat all memory. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how much they eat, if you just leave them running long enough.
    So, what can the kernel do when there's no memory left? For file buffers or anything? It'll use what swap space you have made available, but eventually it'll stall until something gets killed and it can slowly resurrect itself. It's not a (kernel) bug, it's just that it has to handle reality.
    What I do is to killall the browser weekly or bi-weekly (now that I've got 16GB RAM) just to avoid that the browser reaches the memory ceiling. But then again I have a ton of tabs and windows always open, so that I can go back to some previous work that I did months ago, without having to research it all over again. A killall + restart browser + recover previous session handles that.
    Right now it still behaves (everything is smooth), surprisingly:
    Code:
    $ free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           15GB        13GB       308MB       640MB       2.0GB       1.4GB
    Swap:         8.0GB       7.3GB       688MB
    but it'll soon be restart time. Looks like the previous browser restart was September 13, 18 days ago. Not the worst case I've seen, for sure.

As for using USB storage alone, withouth a browser or anything using memory, I've never experienced issues. Not once. Not at work either, and we're a Linux company - all our products to all our customers are based on Linux boxes. There are bugs, yes, but all of them are in our software.. I can't remember the last time we had a report which turned out to be an operating system bug. Must have been more than ten years ago. Since that time I can only remember some issues with HP disk firmware, which is not an OS problem.

4GB, Devuan-amd64.
    That's what I run too, on my private 4GB notebook and on another of my private computers. Works like a charm. Same as Debian, just without systemd (which means, among other things, that I can use openvpn with my expect script, which won't work with systemd).
    The only thing that doesn't work with Devuan is 'apt-file', because Devuan doesn't provide Contents files. Have to find a Debian box and do the 'apt-file search' thing, if I want to find which package I need to install to get a specific file installed.
    Last edited by Tor; October 1st, 2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    4GB, Devuan-amd64.
    I've got the same here (Devuan, 4GB) on a machine used for music. 4GB was ok until I switched to Chromium for internet radio. It still does it, but Chromium get's a bit slow after a few dozen Youtube videos open at the same time. In any case, I've never tried using swap - that idea is getting a bit "vintage" for me and I don't even bother in new installations.

PS: Firefox has no issues, but I needed ALSA support, which FF dropped.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.