Image Map Image Map

Thread: SUN SPARC 5 ULTRA swapping CD ROM to DVD

Default SUN SPARC 5 ULTRA swapping CD ROM to DVD

I am trying to update my SPARC 5 ULTRA with a new DVD drive however the connector cable from the Ultra seems to be not as wide as the socket on the DVD drive. Not sure what to do. Also do I have to modify any config when changing the CD drive to a DVD. I have fixed the NVRAM issue with a battery add on.

I want to install Solaris 10 on the SPARC 5 ULTRA but the ISO is only available in DVD format hence the update to the drive. Does anyone know if the ISO can be split somehow so I could use the CD drive if I can't get the DVD to work. Also is Solaris 10 in CD format available for download from anywhere.

Any help greatly received.

What model DVD drive do you have? The CD drive on the Ultra 5 is IDE like the hard drive IIRC.

Blog Entries

The Ultra 5 is IDE unless you added an SCSI PCI card. The cable should fit unless you are trying to connect it to the floppy drive cable. There are 2 connectors for IDE cables on the SUN ultra 5 so use 1 for the HD and one for the DVDROM set both as master.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Hi, I have updated my Sun Sparc 5 Ultra with a Sony DVD. It seems to be up and working. I want to install Solaris 10 from DVD. How do I make a bootable DVD on a PC. Can I do this with NERO or similar CD software. I can get the ISO from Oracle but how do I make it bootable and the make the SPARC boot from it. I don't know the root password for this machine. Below is DVD-ROM status. when typing boot cdrom - install I get Fast Data access MMU Miss ??Sun-DVD2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sure you have the SPARC version of Solaris 10? Not the x86?

Also I'm not sure Solaris 10 will work on an UltraSparc II. Perhaps try burning a linux flavour (Debian 7 definitely works) and seeing if it boots. This will eliminate a DVD-ROM related issue.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3pcedev View Post
    Also I'm not sure Solaris 10 will work on an UltraSparc II.
    I have an Ultra 60 which I believe is UltraSPARC II and I know for a fact that it will take Solaris 10.
    = Excellent space heater