Image Map Image Map

Thread: Superbrain Power Supplies

Default Superbrain Power Supplies

So I have just managed to acquire another pair of Intertec Superbrain machines - a Mk1 and Mk2 QD.
    The former machine interestingly has the 5MB hard drive option installed........

I have not tried powering up either machine yet as I noticed that although it has a UK 240v plug attached the manufacturers sticker on the rear indicates it a 110V machine (x in the 110V box rather than the 240 box)

Before I strip the machine down and look at the PSU (its a pain as its buried at the bottom of the machine) - does anyone know if the PSU's in these machines was 'selectable' to either 110 or 240 supply ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by zippysticks; September 22nd, 2018 at 08:43 AM.

For the record (as we just discussed via email), the UK Superbrains had step down transformers (240v-115v) fitted internally so that they could run on UK voltages. Mine has a great fat toroidal transformer which is definitely over specified, and the one I just restored has a smaller standard type. Maybe UK suppliers were importing US models and converting them on arrival (I saw a picture of one Superbrain with a UK dealer label covering the Intertec voltage spec label on the rear of the machine).

If the hard disk has any data on it it needs to be preserved.

Thanks Jon.

Yes one of them (with the hard drive) has a very large toroidial - the other has the mains filter you showed on stardot and a smaller 'standard' stepdown.

The Superbrain II powers up and partially reads the boot disk we created so I hope it just needs a good strip down and clean. This one has a green screen monitor rather the black and white of my other SB II.

The Superbrain I with hard drive shows no signs of life beyond 12v available on the drive molex (no 5V) so I suspect I have some supply problems that need investigation.
    Last edited by zippysticks; September 23rd, 2018 at 03:13 AM.

You need a dummy load on the 5v rail to test it. Use a 12v bulb as I show in the StarDot thread.

Second, the weakness in the PSU is in the board, not the step down. On its own it probably cannot drive the hard disk's motor. I bet there is another PSU hiding under the monitor. If not, and the HDD is connected to the SB PSU's 12v rail, I can guess why it might have popped. If the PSU failed it probably took parts of the mainboard with it. I think that's why mine was toasted.