Image Map Image Map

Thread: Cleaning Vic 20 and Commodore 64

Default Cleaning Vic 20 and Commodore 64

I have retrieved my Vic 20 and (2) Commodore 64s from the attic and want to do some "simple" cleaning before running them. What is recommended for cleaning without disassembly of the whole unit? I'm planning to use a strong vacuum cleaner, exterior wipes, and some "spray" into the keyboard (what spray??). Please let me know any thoughts. These were only lightly used for teaching my children and have been in storage ever since. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Generally spraying is a bad idea. (I always think of people spraying WD-40 into clock mouvements...)

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Use the vacuum cleaner and those wipes, but be careful that the wipes don't remove lettering. Don't bother with any sprays.

What's more important in my opinion is the power supply. Simply don't use that C64 power supply without additional protection. Your C64 might work fine for a while, or it might go up in smoke right away. It's Russian Roulette.

Default OK - No Spray. AV Connectors?

Thank you for the comments! I have cleaned them, and am now trying to run with a video connector (5 pin DIN -> AV connectors) to my regular TV. I have a set from Germany (eBay), but they don't show any video. I'll have to chase that issue down on the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Generally spraying is a bad idea. (I always think of people spraying WD-40 into clock mouvements...)

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Use the vacuum cleaner and those wipes, but be careful that the wipes don't remove lettering. Don't bother with any sprays.

What's more important in my opinion is the power supply. Simply don't use that C64 power supply without additional protection. Your C64 might work fine for a while, or it might go up in smoke right away. It's Russian Roulette.

Blog Entries

You are very welcome.

What sort of television set are you using?

Your "AV connectors", I assume are "RCA phono" plugs, and you should have at least three. If your television set has composite inputs, that is, an RCA jack typically labeled VIDEO and coloured yellow, plug each plug into that jack one at a time, and one should give you a video image.

If you have already done this, either your cable is wired incorrectly (this is quite common), or there's an internal fault in the computer, or you've overlooked something: is the television actually set to receive video at that connector, for example.

Default TV Set - No Image ?

I have tried them on 2 of my flat screen TVs. all of which have R/W/Y connecting ports. (For "RCA phone plugs" - I assume!). The first set of connectors (eBay) came from Germany. These have two (2) plugs Y/R. I plugged them in at the same time. They are supposed to be good for both my Vic 20 and Commodore 64s, however, I got no image at all on any of the TVs. I also tried them on one old "non-flat" TV model.

I also have a set of cables coming from Canada (eBay) which have three (3) plugs R/W/Y. They should be here in another day or so and I can try them. I didn't know which was best to use so ordered them both.

I did "scroll" through the input selections ( HDM1, HDM2, AV) and used the AV port where the DVD connects (after pulling those cables out).

Please advise if you have any other thoughts. I'll let you know what happens with the R/W/Y set from Canada when it arrives.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    You are very welcome.

What sort of television set are you using?

Your "AV connectors", I assume are "RCA phono" plugs, and you should have at least three. If your television set has composite inputs, that is, an RCA jack typically labeled VIDEO and coloured yellow, plug each plug into that jack one at a time, and one should give you a video image.

If you have already done this, either your cable is wired incorrectly (this is quite common), or there's an internal fault in the computer, or you've overlooked something: is the television actually set to receive video at that connector, for example.

So I recently had a filthy C64 keyboard so I just put it in the dashwasher. (Top shelf, mild soap, air dry, light wash.) Came out nearly brand new! No keys worked (Before or after washing) so I had to sand down the rubber pad on the plungers a little.... now it works 100% and looks brand new. Not that I am recommending this method, but I did it and it worked. (Also washed the C64 motherboard in the same way and it also came out super clean.... and works fine before and after.)
    -- Adrian