Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on Acer Aspire Desktop

Default Information on Acer Aspire Desktop

Hi all,

First post here. I recently bought a desktop from a thrift shop and after getting it home and doing a little digging I can find next to no information on it.

Its an Acer Aspire M/N: 5466BY with a date manufactured of 97/11/10. There is another P/N which is model number of the motherboard on the case: 91.AB524.D03. It has an AMD-K6 with 166 Mhz and 2GB hard drive and 80MB of RAM. It has Windows 95 installed. The reason I'm coming here is that I want to swap the hard drive and start with a fresh install of windows but I'm worried I won't be able to find any drivers since its been next to impossible to find any information on the computer itself. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? Thank you for any advice or insight you can provide!

A few pictures shown below:

20180924_172741.jpg

img_20180924_171502.017.jpg

img_20180924_171653.086.jpg

Write down the chips on the MOBO: PCI, VGA, sound and Google for drivers. That is how I have found many drivers for obscure PCs.

Blog Entries

why a fresh install? just clone the hard drive.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    why a fresh install? just clone the hard drive.

Sorry for my inexperience but can I clone the drive to a larger drive? I was hoping for about 20gb but I didn't know how that would go since the partion is set up on the existing 2gb drive. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Write down the chips on the MOBO: PCI, VGA, sound and Google for drivers. That is how I have found many drivers for obscure PCs.
    Thanks that's something I hadn't considered yet. I'm still new to all this.

80MB of RAM! That is indeed interestingly weird. I can't think how that would even be achieved. Also a huge amount of RAM for a 1997 PC. I suspect it actually has 128MB fitted in an effort to max it but due to some motherboard/BIOS limit
    80MB is the most it can access. Would probably have shipped with 16 or 32MB of RAM originally.

Even if there is little to no information around on that specific machine, it is very unlikely that the hardware is that oddball, by 1997 things were relatively standardised. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the graphics will be some sort of S3/SiS onboard solution, the sound will be at least Sound Blaster 16 compatible if you can't find proper drivers and that'll be about all you'll need to worry about unless extra cards are fitted. Windows 95 will likely detect all of it out the box, and if not drivers will be easy to hunt down.

You could just check in device manager to see what is fitted (on Windows 9x you get to it by right-clicking My Computer, and it is then a tab on the property sheet that appears) and check if drivers for the hardware are available first.

Wouldn't worry too much if you're going to swap the hard drive before your clean install. If it all goes wrong you can just swap it back and get back to where you were anyway.

I hadn't even thought about that. I'm kinda new to all this older PC stuff- if i clone the drive can i clone it to a larger drive and have a larger partition available? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    80MB of RAM! That is indeed interestingly weird. I can't think how that would even be achieved. Also a huge amount of RAM for a 1997 PC. I suspect it actually has 128MB fitted in an effort to max it but due to some motherboard/BIOS limit
    80MB is the most it can access. Would probably have shipped with 16 or 32MB of RAM originally.

Even if there is little to no information around on that specific machine, it is very unlikely that the hardware is that oddball, by 1997 things were relatively standardised. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the graphics will be some sort of S3/SiS onboard solution, the sound will be at least Sound Blaster 16 compatible if you can't find proper drivers and that'll be about all you'll need to worry about unless extra cards are fitted. Windows 95 will likely detect all of it out the box, and if not drivers will be easy to hunt down.

You could just check in device manager to see what is fitted (on Windows 9x you get to it by right-clicking My Computer, and it is then a tab on the property sheet that appears) and check if drivers for the hardware are available first.

Wouldn't worry too much if you're going to swap the hard drive before your clean install. If it all goes wrong you can just swap it back and get back to where you were anyway.
    Thanks for the advice, thats definitely true that i can have the old drive as backup if needed.

Furthermore does anyone know if its possible to clone the hard disk image to a more modern form of storage? like compact flash, or SSD? I know its possible to use these, but i don't really know how to actually clone the drive. Thanks!

Windows 98 Second Edition is an excellent choice as well. Did an install on a Celeron yesterday. Very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    80=64+16. Not that weird. Probably has 2x32 and 2x8 in 72-pin SIMMs fitted.